[97]

97- Liam

Liam chuckled and snatched the bag of sweets from Zayn. "You've had too many, sharing is caring."

"I don't care, give me the licorice one," Zayn said and peeked over the bag to grab the red licorice.

"I've missed sweets and candy," Zayn mumbled and slumped by Liam's side, chewing on the licorice. Liam resisted the urge to throw his arm around Zayn's shoulders and instead tried to focus on the match in front of him. Arm-wrestling between Niall and Louis, and Harry and Safaa were the judges.

Niall was easily pushing Louis' hand down, but Louis was giving all his effort to keep it up. It was clear that eventually he would be too exhausted and would lose the match. Harry however, the little troll of positivity, kept on encouraging him to not give up.

"Remember that time I won over you?" Zayn said and Liam could hear the smugness in his voice. He rolled his eyes playfully. "I was exhausted."

"Still won," Zayn snickered and reached for the bag of sweets again. Liam whined as Zayn picked the last red licorice before he had the chance to.

"And Tommo here lost again," Niall laughed and Louis groaned. Waliyha shushed then as she kept her focus intently on the tv screen, some kind of Indian drama serial about two men pining for the same woman.

Just then, someone's phone rang. Harry pulled his out of his back pocket and his face went from joyous to moody in an instant. He looked up and Liam locked eyes with him to ask if everything was okay.

"Just management, probably wanting the same thing again," Harry brushed off. Liam clenched his jaw at how insensitive they were, but kept shut. They didn't need to bother Zayn with management's latest move.

Unfortunately, Zayn was no kid they could hide things from. He sat up alert with a curious look on his face. "What do they want?"

"You know, the usual," Louis said shortly.

"Nothing you need to worry about, dear," Trisha said, tearing her gaze away from the TV.

Zayn narrowed his eyes as Liam sighed. There was no good in hiding it from him, he was going to stress about it anyway.

"Let's tell him," he said to everyone. Louis pursed his lips, but nodded in agreement. It was Liam's first instinct to protect Zayn from anything harmful, especially if he was in a vulnerable state. He never really thought how Zayn would feel being kept in the dark.

Zayn smiled at him and Liam knew it was the better option. Better than him finding out later. Liam wondered if Zayn would have felt better if he had known Tom was alive. Maybe he would have beeen prepared for the attack at the hospital. Pushing the slight guilt down, Liam focused on the present as everyone explained that Modest wanted to pap Zayn and show the world he was alive and fine. In the process, they also told about yesterday's events. Al came to visit and wanted him to consider coming into court. Butch, Tom, Riley, Joey and Brian, they were all being held.

A witness statement from Zayn was all that would permanently hold them. There was too much evidence for them to be freed.

"It's fine," Zayn said, looking unaffected by the updates. Harry narrowed his eyes. "What, the court thing?"

Zayn became quiet for a second, and Liam could see him thinking. "I'll...go to court, but just, next week. Like, give me another week, I want to get back on my feet again first."