[116]

116- Zayn

Zayn felt Liam freeze beside him, but it was nothing compared to the sudden stop of his heart

Zayn felt Liam freeze beside him, but it was nothing compared to the sudden stop of his heart. He sucked in a breath, feeling people throw a few cautious glances in his direction. From this side of the room, Zayn could see the studying look on Scott's face as he stared at Daniel. "Zayn was screaming? Because of the abuse Butch has allegedly performed."

Zayn was aware that in court they were supposed to play as if nothing was proven yet, until it was. It was just the way it was, and yet he could feel the flame of anger ignite inside him. Butch hadn't allegedly hurt him, but purposely done it, even enjoyed it. The thought made him feel sick, and he retracted his hand from Liam's, rubbing his forehead a little. He noticed the worried look on Liam's and the boy's faces, but he ignored them. He didn't even dare look at Trisha, afraid she would be on the verge of tears with what was going to be discussed next.

"Yes, Butch did illegally," Daniel agreed, and the boy mistaking the unknown word for illegal would probably be funny in other situations, or in a better, less tense ambience. Zayn watched as Daniel wiped his eyes and straightened his back. "That's why you have to send Butch to jail. He hurt Zayn a lot, Riley had to put bandages on his back."

Zayn squeezed his hands into fists. Please stop talking Daniel.

"Zayn cried too," Daniel said and covered his face. "He-he was bleeding." He let out a sob and looked up. "Butch was super mean to him, he has to go to jail."

Zayn ignored the pricking on his neck, and slumped a little against the chair, swallowing. Scott's mouth was in a tight line, and Zayn could only guess because of the new cards on the table. Scott opened his mouth, to probably thank Daniel and send him back to his seat, but McIntyre interrupted. "Permission to ask question to witness?"

Scott sent him a look which McIntyre replied to, his face turned towards the judge. "Despite his loss of control, Butch hurt innocent citizens, threatened six more and was a part of two armed robberies."

The judge's eyes were already narrowed and she tore her gaze away from Scott and Daniel. "Permission granted."

McIntyre stepped forward, which forced Scott to fall back. "Daniel," McIntyre said gently, rubbing the boy's back. Daniel wiped his eyes again and looked up with a brave face.

"Did Butch do this for a reason, do you know why?" McIntyre asked him, and Zayn was listening so intently, he felt like he was leaned forwards.

"He's trying to make sure Zayn doesn't have to witness," Louis whispered to Niall, but Zayn overheard him and he swallowed thickly. He slumped against the chair again, hands fisted as he listened to Daniel answer. His heart was pounding in his chest, making his body tense.

"A-a reason?" the boy asked in confusion. "No, I don't- I don't know. Zayn didn't do anything to him."

McIntyre looked grim, but nodded. "Thank you, Daniel, you can return to your seat." He turned to the judge. "As you can see, judge, it was done purely out of malice, no matter how out of control-"