Chapter 3

Zantor’s P.O.V.

I sat on the throne is my throne room. It seemed as if all of my loyal subjects have arrived to see the homecoming of my sister. Yes my sister’s homecoming will be glorious.

It truly shocked me when she accepted to lead the attack against this specific group of humans that never ceased to be a thorn in my side for a while. My brother-in-law had died in the first attack of them; he was the greatest of our warriors. And he was my sister’s true mate.  Since he held a special place in her heart, he also held one in mine. It was mostly out of pure respect of most.

Yes, he hated to admit it back then, but he could outdo me in everything: flying, fighting, and leadership skills. If I was not born my sister and he would’ve made the most spectacular King and Queen of the lineage. They would have been respected, feared, and worshipped.

At times I wished that things had turned out differently. That I would have not been born. My sister would have become Queen. After she found her mate, he would become King. They would have ruled a better dynasty than I can.

I lowered my head down a bit and huffed some smoke from my nostrils. I always put myself down like this, mother always told me it wasn’t healthy and I didn’t dare do it in front of my father when he was still living. Would’ve beaten the tar out of me he would. My father’s reign had been a long, harsh, and strict rule. And the dragons loved him for it. At times he was unreasonable, but when it came time to lay down the law and enforce it. You could count on my father for that.

I smiled inwardly at the fond memories of when I was young. My father used to try and teach ‘important life lessons’ on how to become king. But all I wanted to do back was chase the butterflies that have flown over from the human world.

Despite his lack of pride in me, he knew he had to teach me these lessons. Since I had the colors of the dragon’s jewel in my eyes that meant I was a born leader to the throne. But deep inside he wished that my older sister was going to be the ruler. I just never had any interest in becoming king. I had wanted to be a Bard. Go and sing songs of legends and epics of my people. I hated being cooped up in this stuffy castle.

To make things worse I was never allowed to go fight! When Tralor had fallen in battle, I wanted nothing than to go into the human world and show them the fury of a King. But alas, the council had said no. They didn’t even let me go and comfort my sister; they said I had ‘kingly duties’ to attend to. Great Xal, all I did that day was listen to the complaints of the rich that today in how they needed(or more likely wanted) more money. They had too much gold than they knew what to do with, yet they wanted me to grant them more?

I swear the greed of the humans must be rubbing off on my kind. But it’s not like any of the nobles have been to the human domain in the last thousands of years. I bet they already forgot how to fly. Stupid, fat, and useless dragons they are. We’d be better off if we just got rid of them all. Although I don’t think the council would appreciate that idea.

“They are approaching! Lady Zoruta and her warriors are returning!” The watch dragon yelled out. He was in the top of the room yelling it out so that everybody could hear it. I felt my insides warm as the golden figure of my sister approached. She flew in gracefully and landed at my feet.

“My King, I have returned.” She said as she dipped her head low. I wanted to tell her to call me by my name, but now wasn’t the right time. I noticed her talons were holding something to her chest. I need to make a note and ask her about that later.

“Greetings sister. I expect you have good news?” I asked looking down at her with all the love I could muster. I did not want her thinking that I thought I was better than her. Which I know I am not!