Chapter 8: The Christmas Miracle

The next morning, I woke up and made myself a cup of tea. When I walked into the kitchen, I saw Phil getting himself a cup of coffee.

"Hey Dan," he softly said. I was hoping that he would somehow forget about last night and how I ran away like a little kid. I was hoping that I would forget about it too. But I guess we don't always get the things we want.

"Why on earth would you just run off like that in the middle of the night?" he asked.

I was definitely not going to have an emotional breakdown like I did last night with Sarah. So I went back to my lying ways and simply said,

"I don't know."

He looked at me and sighed, "Well, I'm just glad you're back and safe." Then he walked back into his room.

Phew! That was close.

About thirty minutes later, Sarah came out of the room and sat down on the couch in the living room next to me.

"Did Phil talk to you?" she asked.

"Yeah," I answered. "He asked me why I left and I just said I didn't know."

She let out a long sigh and said, "Well at least he isn't suspicious. I just don't know how I feel about lying to him."

"I know," I said. "But we're doing it for his own good. If he found out the truth, he would be upset and everything would be more messed up than it already is. After finally confessing, I feel like my feelings are starting to die down anyway. Just give it time, and we'll both feel 100% better." I was sure of that. I honestly believed that everything was fixed and under control.

She smiled at me and said, "I hope you're right." I hoped I was too. But, of course, I was wrong once again.

.   .   .  

It was Christmas Day in London, England. The streets were covered in a beautiful white blanket of snow, there were lights wrapped around the lamp posts, wreaths hanging from the street lights, and everyone was walking with their winter boots, jackets, and gloves on, enjoying the beautiful scenery.

The three of us were inside opening all of the different presents that we left each other under the Christmas tree. Phil and I just finished filming a new winter gaming YouTube video, and everything felt so peaceful. I felt okay filming and being myself with Phil. I felt okay being with Sarah. For the first time in a long time, I felt genuinely happy and at peace.

We all loved the presents we got. Phil got me a new video game, and I got him a new pair of Christmas socks. Sarah got me a black sweater, and she got Phil a brand new watch. I got Sarah a makeup kit.

"Aw, thanks Dan!" she said. "I love it!"

"There's still one more present under the tree!" I said. I crawled under the tree and picked up the small wrapped box. "It's for you, Sarah, from Phil," I said handing her the gift.

When she unwrapped the present, it was a small black box. She opened it and saw a beautiful four carat engagement ring sitting right in front of her.

"Sarah," Phil began, taking her hand and kneeling down on one knee. "I know we've only been together for almost a year now, but I love you and I want you to be mine forever. So Sarah Alexandar, will you marry me?"

Sarah began to cry, and mascara flowed down her face. Good thing I bought her some new makeup.

"Yes!" she exclaimed. "I love you too Phil, of course I'll marry you!" They kissed and hugged each other in celebration.

I just sat there, watching them. I couldn't believe that my best friend was going to get married! I actually didn't feel any pain. I was genuinely happy for them. I felt proud. If I would've told Phil how I felt on Thanksgiving Day, I wouldn't be enjoying this beautiful moment with him and Sarah. It was a truly sweet time for all of us.

Later that night, I was in my room editing the video Phil and I made earlier, when I heard a knock on my door. 

"Come in!" I called. Sarah walked in and sat down on my bed.

"Hi D-," she began.

"Don't say anything," I interrupted. "I told you before that my feelings were going away, and I assure you that they are completely gone now. I am truly happy for you and Phil." And I meant it. For once, I wasn't lying and I was telling her how I honestly felt. It felt good.

She gave me a huge smile and said, "Thank you. This wouldn't be happening if it weren't for you." She gave me a big hug and left.

I couldn't believe how well this was all settling in. I was expecting myself to freak out or something, but everything was perfectly fine. I finally felt peace and joy. I felt honest and I felt like that burden finally left my shoulders. I usually don't believe in miracles, but I felt like I just experienced a Christmas miracle.

I felt like I could support Phil and Sarah in everything and anything that they do.

Well, that's what I thought until New Year's Eve came around.