Chapter 11

Day Off, Part III

We park in an underground parking garage. After getting out, Ross locks the car and we continue to the sunlight.

"There's this really cool place called Ahhh's, and there's this vintage candy store that has over a hundred different kinds of soda! And then there's this really good pizza place that has its dough for the crust sent fron New York, because the water in New York makes the dough taste so much better. There's also an awesome record store we could check out!"

I giggle lightly at his fascination. "You really like West Hollywood, don't you?"

"Love it. It's also really big in the gay and lesbian rights movement, so don't act like you've never seen two men or two women hold hands before when you see them! They feel comfortable in WeHo, don't make them uncomfortable," He rubs the back of his neck as we continue our walk down the street. "My first time in WeHo, I stared a bit and had a few confrontations with the more confident couples. Didn't turn out well."

I laugh. Where I'm from, there's only one openly gay couple, and people try to ban them from just about anything. I'm one of the few people in my town who not only accepts them, but fights for them as well.

Enough of my mind. Ross leads us around a corner, where I see a record store. He looks at me with an excited smile and walks faster.

"Do you even own a record player?" I ask as we walk through the doors.

"Yup! Right next to my desk in my room!" he exclaims as he leads me to the 80s classic rock section. "I've raided this section more than you would know." He begins browsing the vinyls. I do so as well. I've never listened to 80s music that much.

"Some good old Springsteen and Journey do the trick," he says as he pulls out a couple records. "You listen to 'em?

I shake my head shyly. "I've never really listened to music from the eighties."

He looks at me with shock. "Well, you're coming to my house on our next day off and I'm getting you into the eighties."

I nod with a small laugh. Ross leads me to the cashier, where he makes his purchases. We leave the record shop.

"It's a bit of a walk to our next stop. If you wanna sit down any time, let me know!"

I nod. We walk some, Ross's hand occasionally brushing mine, igniting a fire in my stomach. He stops walking.

"You really are oblivious, aren't you?" I stop and look at him, nearly positive my face mirrors that of a confused puppy. Ross shakes his head. "I guess I have to be blunt. May I hold your hand, Dianna?" He holds his left hand out.

I feel my face heat. I shouldn't be doing this. I'm here to focus on a career, not a boy. I need to keep not only my chin above the water, but my knees above the water. I need to have everything secure before I begin to even think about guys.

But... what's the harm in holding his hand?

A lot, Di. Come on.

But he's done so much for me today.

Without another thought, I reach my right hand for his left hand, and entwine our fingers. The fire in my stomach has had fuel added to it. It won't be going out soon. A blush easily finds its way to my face. We walk some more and round a corner.

"Thank you, Dianna."

"For what?" I look up at Ross to see him gazing at me.

"For coming with me today. I kidnapped you and you were completely willing. Had I done that with any other girl, she'd be against it."