Chapter 17

I was sat in a chair with two people doing my makeup and two doing my hair for what seemed like the longest time.

The two hair stylists began the session with a debate on whether to leave my hair curly or straighten it. They decided to leave it curly, but pin half of it up and chalk some of my blonde ringlets pastel pink and pastel blue. It looked really good.

My makeup artists made my skin look flawless, and they even succeeded in making my chubby cheeks look slimmer, somehow. I liked it. My green eyes looked like a princess's and my lips had a soft pink pout. I loved how I looked.

When they gave me the liberty to choose my outfit, the hair stylists and makeup artists left and closed the door. I began browsing through the massive rack of clothing. When someone knocked on my door, I shouted, "Come in!"

Moments later, Rydel walked in alone. "Hey, girly!"

"Rydel!" I cheered.

"I'm here to help with your outfit! Well, I was sent here to tell you that you have an hour until call time, but now that I see you're looking for an outfit, that's what I'm here to help with now!"

I giggled. We browsed in silence for a short moment before she said, "The boys and I are playing a couple songs before you and Cameron go on. They'll interview you and then play a few clips from this past week. Just go with it!"

"Got it. Thanks, Rydel."

"No problem at all! Ross really likes you. I know we'll be seeing a lot more of each other!"

"I hope so," I said as I gnawed on my lip. If I lose this thing, then I go back home and I will probably never see Ross again. He'll forget about me. I didn't really care if I lost before. I mean, I was driven to win because acting and singing is all I've ever wanted to do, but if I lost, I would have been okay with it. But, I had even more to fight for at that moment. I had to win so I could keep Ross in my life.

"This one!" Rydel called as she flung a dress up. It was gorgeous. The dress was strapless and white with pink flowers at the bottom half. She handed it to me and told me to put it on while she looked for accessories. Behind a curtain, I did just as she said. The dress really did flatter my figure. It made my breasts look fuller, my waist look average, and my hips look smaller. When I emerged, she gasped and exclaimed, "Oh, Ross won't be able to keep his hands off of you!"

After she told me that, she shoved a bunch of pink accessories in my hands. I started with the thin, half-inch belt. It really complimented the dress. I put on the pink fake diamond ring and matching pendant. After untying the string that held a bunch of pink bangles together, I slid those on. Finally, I pinned pink earrings to my lobes. Rydel squealed and grabbed my shoulders and shoved me in front of the full-length mirror.

"What size shoe are you?"

"Seven."

She lifted up a pink pair of heels. After putting them on, I really did feel pretty. I liked how I looked, which was a rare occurence.

"My brother will be all over you!"

I giggled, a blush heating my face. "Thank you for helping me Rydel."

"No problem! Are you nervous?"

"Not about being on TV..."

"About...?" she pondered.

I opened mymouth to speak, but nothing came out. I chewed on my lip a little before saying, "I just don't wanna go home. Savannah's back there and she'll terrorize me. I'll feel like I failed. II'll have just begun a relationship with a guy I really like just to leave. I've had so much fun out here, Rydel... I don't want to go home, back to reality."

She pursed her lips and pulled me in for a hug. A knock interrupted us. I blinked away the forming tears while Rydel called, "Come in!"

Ross poked his head in."Oh, you are in here, Rydel! We're on in five."

When he fully opened the door, he saw me, and made it kind of obvious. Rydel nudged me. Ross's eyes widened slightly, his lips parted only a little bit, and his cheeks flushed. His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed.

"Wow..."

"I'm gonna leave! Love ya, girly! Hakuna matata!" Rydel called as she pranced out of my dressing room.

I smiled and waved to her as she left. Ross made his way up to me. In these heels, my eyes were level with his mouth, and I couldn't stop staring. His hands found their way to my waist and I felt the urge to push them off. Why bother? What if I lose? I had to ask him. Was the convenience of our relationship a requirement to continue said relationship?

"Ross?"

"Mhm?"

"What if I lose? I'll have to leave..."

"We'll work for this relationship no matter what, Dianna. I want this to work with you. I'm in way too deep to let this crumble apart. I want to be with you, and I'm willing to work for it if you are."

That relieved me a lot. "Thanks. Now get out there. I'll be watching from the wings!"

"Got it," he said before kissing my forehead, a gesture which set my stomach aflutter.

He ran out, and I called, "Good luck!" before following him. I stopped at the wings, where a worker wouldn't let me pass. Cameron was also there, in black slacks and a grey button up long sleeved dress shirt. His regularly messy hair was combed. He looked nice.

"You look great, Dianna," he said. "I mean, you always look great, but now you look especially great."

I laughed before adding, "You look sharp. And I see you combed your hair!"

He shoved me. We both laughed quite a bit.

"I think it's gonna be you," he said kind of sadly.

"Why?"

"You've made a more lasting impression than I have. You've impressed the judges more, from what I've seen. They like you a lot."

What he said made me happy, but it was then that I realized that my winning meant him going back to reality, the thing I would dread the most.

"I think you have a good chance, too. You don't realize how truly incredible and unprecedented you are."

He smiles and nods, just as R5 begins a song. It's really catchy, and I catch Ross looking my way a couple times throughout the song.

When it's over, they cut to commercial and Ross comes out, all sweaty. After an amusing attempt to hug me, he grins and kisses my forehead. Makeup artists go to work on cleaning him up. When they return from commercial break, Cameron gets called out. I wish him luck.

As he's being interviewed and clips are being shown, Ross and I talk.

"Just relax. I believe in you."

I took a deep shaky breath. "I know. Thanks."

"You've done everything you can by now, Dianna. This is just a publicity thing. These interviews don't affect anything. So breathe." I did just that. After a good ten minutes of Cameron being interviewed, another commercial break occured. Cameron came back, and I told him he did great.

"It isn't that bad up there. There are a lot of people, though. Also, somehow, they got clips of us all at Disneyland and California Adventure, but they're only showing the good stuff. You can do it."

I nodded. He and Ross gave me more advice. When the commercial break ended, the host smiled and waved to the camera.

"Hello, everyone! My name is Jordan and welcome back! Our other contestant is Dianna, a sweet wild-haired blonde girl from the same town as Cameron. She's seventeen, a vegetarian, and has a cute and quirky personality."

One of the stage managers pulled me closer and then put her hands on my shoulders.

"Let's welcome her out with a big round of applause!" The stage manager pushed me forward. I walked into the bright white lights and the boisterous applause.