Chapter 14

"Good" Morning

I wake with nerves crowding my stomach. I take a deep breath to calm them as I turn over to check the time. It is eight in the morning. They won't reveal anything until tonight at six. I wish I'd slept in more; I would have less time to wait and build up my anxiety.

I remind myself that, no matter what happens, I'll be happy. If I don't get the spot, Cam will be able to help his family out and I will have had put myself out there. Vice versa if I do get the part and Cam does not.

What happens, happens. I can't change anything, so I need to keep walking and move forward from everything that happens to me. That is the key to a stress-free and happy life, I think.

So, I sit up with confidence and walk to the bathroom. After showering, I slip on leggings and a large sweater. After putting the curl-defining serum in my blonde hair, blowdry it and tie it up in a ponytail on the top of my head. It looks like an intricate updo, but it's just a ponytail. Benefits of wild hair.

I don't put any makeup on yet. When I leave the bathroom, my phone rings.

"Hello?" I answer it.

"Is this Dianna?"

I nod, forgetting I'm on the phone. I mentally laugh at myself and then say, "It is."

"Hi, it's Michael, the casting director. I wanted to call you to inform you that the revelation will be shown live on the Disney Channel tonight. Not that I have any doubts that you will, but dress and act with class. They will do your hair and make up when you get there! Arrive at about four, please."

I'm suddenyl more nervous. "Of course! Thank you!"

"No problem. I'll see you then."

I hang up and squeal. My first time on television ever! I wish I could record it! Oh, I'm sure they can have it put on DVD for me or something!

My mother rushes out. "What is it?!"

"I'm gonna be on Disney Channel tonight!"

"Oh my goodness! I'm so proud of you, sweetheart!"

"I'm so excited!" 

My mom's phone rings, and she smiles and excuses herself to her room. The door shuts.

I decide not to put any make up on or anything. They're just going to redo it later anyways. I walk to thekitchen and grab the ontainer of fruit salad from the fridge. I snag a fork and sit on a barstool. Mom walks in, a solemn look on her face.

"Dianna." I'm suddenly worried. What did whoever just called her say to her?

"What?" The shakiness of my voice betrays me.

"That was your father."

My father, who left us when momgot pregnant with me. My father who caused my mom's unhealthy lifestyle. My father, who did not love me or my mom enough to stay. My father, without whom I have lived for seventeen years. My father, from whom I got my curly blonde hair and my crooked toes.

My father.

"W-what?" I set my fork down, not interested in my fruit salad anymore.

"He wants to meet you, Di."

I feel angry. Tears sting my green eyes. My face heats.

"No."

"Dianna-"

I yell, "Why would I want to meet him?! After all he's done to us?! He left us, mom! Why does he suddenly want to meet me when my life is picking up?! No! I won't meet him!"

I feel regret as soon as the words leave my mouth. "I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't be yelling..."

"No," replies my mom. "You have every right to. He doesn't deserve to know how beautiful you are, how elegantly you've grown up, or how distinguished you are. I will support you in any decision you make."

A knock sounds on the door.

Mom walks to open the door. "But, I want you to think about it."

I look down, unfocusing my eyes.

"Hi, Ross!" my mom says somewhat loudly. She's warning me that he's here. I instinctively brush my tears away and fan at my red face.

His heavy footsteps grow louder and he sits next to me.

"I'll be in my room, okay?" I smile at my mom and hug her. Her door soon shuts.

"Is something wrong?"

I shake my head and don't make eye contact with him. His hand gently grabs my chin and turns my head towards him. I shut my eyes.

"Please look at me, Dianna. Are you worried about tonight? Are you not confident? Are you scared? Dianna, talk to me. Please."

Without warning, I say, "My father wants to meet me."

I told him the stories about my father during our silent moments at the beach. He listened patiently and brushed away my tears when they ran down my cheeks.

"You don't want to meet him," Ross says, a statement rather than a question. I've known this boy for a week and he already knows how I tick. Am I that easy to read?

I shake my head. "I know I should. But I- I just-" I can't think of the words to express my extreme dislike of the idea of meeting my father.

Ross's strong arms envelope me in a tight, warm hug. A sob escapes me, and I'm soon leaking warm tears onto his shirt. All of the pain my father has caused me, soaking the shoulder of this guy.

I pull away, staring back at my untouched fruit salad. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be doing this."

"No, Dianna. I'm here for you. I want to be here when you're sad and when you're happy. I want to be the one to dry your tears."

I look up at him. And it's when I truly look at him that I realize he's brought me a dozen red roses and a box of chocolates.

I look at him, my eyes wide.

"I have a confession."

-----

Hi, everyone! I'm sorry for the long wait! I've had a lot on my mind with deciding on which college I'll be going to, I've had the flu, and I've been training for a run! I've just been super busy lately! I'm at home, recovering from the flu currently! This story is wrapping itself up quite nicely! Only two more chapters left or so! :D I'll continue this in a sequel, and I'm still deciding on the name. It'll be "Driven by..." something. I'm still deciding!

So.... I'm very thankful for all of you readers! I love you all!(:

xoxo