"The long imagine" (Part 2)

[A/N: everything that is underlined, like this, is your dream] 

Your P.O.V. 

You opened your eyes, giving up on the attempt of falling asleep again. Tossing and turning in your hammock, you looked at the peaceful environment. It's been a few days but you still sleep where the boys sleep. The sky was grayish, dawn is near. Quietly, you stood up to make sure that everyone else is asleep. Even breathing and silent snoring confirmed it. You tip-toed around sleeping figures, heading towards the Deadheads. Seeing the Glade in this state almost made you forget that you are all trapped in a giant maze. Everyone will be heading to breakfast soon, so you didn't want to go deep in the woods. There was a big oak tree. You weren't hiding, but you wanted some time alone. When you were on 6-7 meters above the ground, thoughts started swirling in your head. The fact that some boys whistled when you passed by, irritated you. They also underestimate you. The only thing you wanted is to be treated as equal. You tried almost every job in the Glade but skipped working in the Blood-house, of course. As before, you wanted to be a Runner. Newt, Alby, and Minho weren't thrilled by that idea, but they'll think about it. You leaned back on the trunk and closed your eyes. You would be lying to say you are not tired.

...

Crackling twigs and rustling leaves woke you from your slumber. The first sun rays were shining above the walls and piercing through treetops. You peeked from your branch to see who's coming. It was Newt and Minho. Just as you wanted to reveal yourself, you noticed they were looking around, making sure they were alone. You tried making yourself as small as possible so they wouldn't see you.

"You know very well that we need more Runners." Minho said when they reached a nearby tree.

"Yes but I don't want any more people risking their lives out there." Newt answered coldly.

"You didn't seem to have a problem with that when you told Thomas he can be one." Minho was teasing him. "We'll keep her safe, don't worry." The realization hit you like a truck, they were talking about you.

"I would never forgive myself if she gets hurt in the Maze." He replied, worry in his voice.

"And she wouldn't forgive you if you don't let her run. You saw how happy she is when she talks about it. That girl is almost faster than me, she should be just fine." Minho insisted making a few steps forwards. He stopped when he saw Newt wasn't following. Minho turned around and Newt nodded slightly. They both went to the kitchen area. So many things were happening in your mind. At the same time, you were flattered because of what Minho said, sad that your best friend doubts you, excited because of the possibility of you being a Runner and also confused with the fact that Newt cares for your well-being so much. When you sorted things out, you went to breakfast. You didn't realize how hungry you are until you smelled pancakes. 'Good way to start a day' you thought, taking your meal from Frypan. You make your way to your usual table with Chuch, Minho, Newt and Thomas.

"Good morning Y/N!" Chuck was the first to notice your presence.

"Morning! I see you're all up early." You replied with a smile.

"Ok, Greenie, less talking, more eating! We don't have all day y'know." Minho interrupted you. You gave him a confused look sitting next to Thomas.

"You are coming with us today." Thomas explained noticing your facial expression.

"To the Maze? Really?" you couldn't believe your ears so you turned to Newt for an answer. He just smiled and nodded, but his eyes gave away that he was in deep thought.

...

With a full stomach and a small backpack, you waited for the doors to open. You heard something cracking in the walls when you remember what happened in the deadheads this morning. You ran that few steps to Newt and hugged him. His worried expression changed to confused one.