24. Birthday Presents

Waiting for Cathy Jean to ring my doorbell is one of the worst things I've ever experienced. The anticipation mixed with my nerves created the most uncomfortable feeling and I just wanted it to be over with. LaToya's singing and laughing kind of helps take my mind off of things but only for a few seconds.

"Aw, Michael, don't be scared," she cooed, wrapping her arms around me. "It's gonna be so fun and you won't even think about being nervous."

"I just don't want anything to happen. You know how much I like her and if this night goes opposite of my expectations I don't know what I'm gonna do," I replied wiping my palms on my slacks.

"Michael, the girl loves you. It'll be fine!"

"I wouldn't say that," I laughed, thinking about the kiss we shared the other day. That's all that's been on my mind since it happened.

"You don't have to be embarrassed. I won't tease you," she assured me before kissing my cheek.

"Michael! Cathy Jean's here!" Janet screamed from downstairs.

"Yay! I'm so excited! Get your jacket." LaToya gave me a big smile and ran out of my room to meet the lady of the hour.

I put my jacket on and took a very deep breath in an attempt to calm myself. I decided I needed to quit wasting time because Randy might be trying some of his moves on my girl.

"Yeah, I'm totally single," I heard Randy claim.

He hadn't even let Cathy Jean inside the house because he was too busy leaning in the doorway.

"I'm probably twice the man Michael is," he bragged, struggling to look seductive.

"Oh really?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "And how would I know that for sure?"

"You'd have to come with me and find out," he whispered reaching for her hand.

"Okay!" I yelled breaking up whatever was going on. "Randy, Cathy Jean is not interested so you should go before I report a sexual assault."

"Fine then. I was gonna give her an early birthday present but you know, it's all good," he said putting his hands up in surrender.

"She doesn't want anything from you," I told him, motioning Cathy Jean inside.

"You don't know that."

"I do know that. That's the one thing I do know."

"But-"

"Goodbye, Randy."

He rolled his eyes and began walking toward the staircase. "Call me, baby girl. Or swing by late night, you know? If you need me."

"Goodbye, Randy."

He chuckled to himself and disappeared upstairs.

"I'm so sorry about that," I said, taking her hand in mine. "Happy birthday."

"Happy birthday." She cupped my cheeks and kissed me right in front of my sisters. If only Randy was there to see this.

Janet was trying not to squeal as loud as she could when we pulled from the kiss but she wasn't doing a very good job. I pulled Cathy Jean into a hug just to please them a little more.

"I have a present for you," I said grabbing a gift bag off the mantle.

"I have a present for you too." She pulled a small box out from her wristlet.

A smile curled up on my face at the thought of her looking for a present to give me. It made me really happy to think that she thought of me while looking for something.

"You go first," I insisted, eager to see what she bought.

She handed me the gift. "I hope you like it."

I opened the box and found a beautiful necklace, it's shiny metal surface gleaming under the light. I glanced up at Cathy Jean but she flicked her eyes to the floor.

"I noticed you like necklaces and stuff," she said, rubbing her arm.

"Yeah, I do. Thank you." I clipped it around my neck without hesitation. It was something I would actually pick out for myself. "Here's yours."

She took a picture frame out from the gift bag and immediately gasped. "Michael, I love it so much," she sighed, scanning over a candid photo of us in the frame. "Who took this picture?"

"Randy. He was being his creepy self and actually got a good shot," I explained with a light chuckle.

"So he is good for something," she joked.

"I guess."

"I love it. Thank you so much."

"Alright, you guys should get going. Don't be out all night," Mother said opening the front door.

"Don't worry, Mother, we'll be home before midnight...maybe." LaToya grabbed her car keys from off the table and hurried out the door.

"Have fun you two," Mother whispered as Cathy Jean and I walked hand in hand out the door.

Janet couldn't stop fangirling so she only gave me a quick wave and ran back upstairs with a cheesy grin. I was trying my hardest not to smile like that but it wasn't working. No one seemed to mind though.

A/N: I feel like this could be better but I needed to get something up so yeah. More soon💕