6. Madame LaDeux

"Have fun at practice!" Mom said as I got out the car.

"Yeah." I slammed the door grabbing the attention of everyone in the area. Specifically, a blond boy with a welcoming smile that I didn't return.

"Hey, Cathy Jean," he said jogging to catch up with me.

"Hi."

"How are you?"

"The usual."

This is the beginning of every conversation David and I have at dance practice. He is my only friend around here because no one else wants to approach me. David says everyone thinks I'm intimidating, but that's okay with me. When you're antisocial, you could care less about who likes you and who doesn't.

"Practicing those pirouettes?" he joked.

"Umm hmm."

"You know Madame La Deux will say something about them," he said opening the door for me.

"I know. I just have to suck it up instead of running out the door crying like a baby."

David stares at me as we stretch, his eyes deeply scanning mine. We challenge each other to a staring contest without saying anything. David blinks but doesn't dare look away.

"Don't turn around," he commanded.

I nodded. He was trying to protect me like he does every day at practice. They say if you don't make eye contact with her, she won't give you such a hard time. I've been following that rule for some time now but I'm the one receiving every last bit of ridicule.

"Positions!" Madame La Deux yelled clapping her small hands.

Everyone scrambled into our formation for warmups. This is where the first of many chastisements occurs. David and I stand next to each other at the barre as Madame La Deux turns on some music.

Madame La Deux is a 5 foot French woman in her late 40s. She always pulls her brown hair up into a bun and sticks chopsticks through it. She's beautiful, I will admit, but she hates me. She hates everyone I think.

"First position!" she barked.

We all get into first position. I still don't make eye contact with her, afraid her eyes will pierce through my soul.

"Plié! Grande plié! Lower! Lower!"

I go down as far as possible when she comes near me. She scanned my form and then moved on. A weight is lifted off my shoulders for now.

After warm ups, we take a quick water break. The cold liquid relives my throat. It's almost like a congratulations for not getting yelled at in the first 5 minutes of class.

"Cathy Jean!" she snapped. Unfortunately, it's short lived.

I nearly choked on my water when she says my name. I wipe the meandering droplets of water from my chin and reply.

"Yes?"

"Pirouettes."

I looked at David who gave me a weak smile. I screw the cap back on to my water bottle and scurried to Madame La Deux.

"Not so close, missy. I don't want to smell you." She shoved me away.

David crossed his arms and shook his head, turning away from us. You could cut the air with a knife at the moment and it was only getting thicker. I'm not the only one nervous here.