2. Family Values

I watched her red Chevy advance down the road before heading back home. Cathy Jean Jones...her name didn't sound familiar. People always claim they went to school with me and think they'll be in some elite club which isn't true. I decided to check the yearbook before believing her.

The estate where I live is called Hayvenhurst. I've lived here since I was twelve. It's a gorgeous one story mansion with Victorian like features. We have animals in the back with a tennis and basketball court. It's a beautiful home, but there's so much tension it's hard to really love it here.

"Target practice again?" my thirteen year old sister Janet asked as I skipped to my room.

"Yep."

"How well did you do?"

"Not that great. I accidently hit this girl's car." I couldn't hold in my laughter.

"Michael!" Janet giggled. "Were you aiming for it?"

"Yes?"

"No, you weren't. Was she mad? She was probably happy, huh? Anybody would've been. Unless it was a family member. That girl was probably like 'Oh my gosh! A rock that Michael Jackson actually touched hit my car! Swoon!'. Right?" she joked.

"No. She was mad at first but it wasn't scratched so she wasn't upset. She said she went Gardner which I'm not sure if I believe so I'm going to check," I said continuing the trek to my room. Janet followed.

"Was she pretty?"

"Yes," I sighed. "Really pretty."

"Do you like her?"

"Oh my god. Don't be so juvenile, Jan." We began searching my shelves for my yearbook.

"Look who's talking! Maybe you'll just be good friends," Janet finally decided pulling a book from a shelf.

"Yeah, maybe. She invited me over to her house. She lives nearby. I guess we're not as secluded as we thought." I eyed the book Janet held in her hands. She blew off some dust. "What's that?"

"A yearbook."

I snatched the book from her hands and smirked. "Thought I wouldn't notice?" I flipped through the pages and found my class. I scanned the page looking for her. Then I found a little girl with the same afro. She did go to Gardner Street Elementary.

"Is that her?" Janet asked, peeking from over my shoulder.

"Yeah."

"She was telling the truth?! Oh my gosh she's trustworthy!" Janet cried.

"I know."

"Maybe you two..."

"Stop!" I cried. "Just stop! It's not like that. I don't even know her. She's pretty, but I don't feel that way."

"Yet."

I just shook my head and let Janet have that one. Everyone is waiting for me to get involved in a romantic relationship, but I haven't found anyone I like yet. Almost all of my brothers are married and I haven't even had a serious girlfriend. I'm turning 21 soon and they say that'll change me. I don't believe them. It's not that I don't want to have a girlfriend, I'm just too shy to approach any one I like. Which is weird because I was quite talkative with Cathy Jean today. That'll change soon.

The front door slammed shut, making Janet cling onto my arm. I sighed heavily and closed the yearbook. It felt like the light, airy happiness that filled the mood of the room was sucked out right when my father came into the door. Janet grumbled into my arm and took my hand.