CHAPTER FOUR || PART ONE

When the trio arrived at what was left of the house. People crowded a lone officer as they tried to tell the officer that it was a gas leak, but one man started describing a beast. Newt stealthily pulled out his wand and changed the man's mind. Ella struggled to keep up with him. Frustration grew in her and she took a breath to calm down. Tina caught up with her and They both looked around.

Then Ella saw a flash of blue and the corner of Newt's coat enter the building.

"There!" Ella whispered to Tina who followed her gaze. Both women pushed through the crowd and entered the crumbling building. As they followed the stairs up Ella heard the creak of metal and the rough sound of bricks rebuilding themselves. Quickening their pace, both women turned the corner and found Newt sitting on a small bed with the his suitcase in his lap. He locked it and looked up as they entered.

"It was open?" Tina asked. Newt gave them an innocent look.

"Just a smidge." He tried to reassure them unsuccessfully. Ella sighed and slumped her shoulders. Great, now there were creatures running around New York doing who knows what.

"Is that niffler thing on the loose again?" Tina added exasperatedly.

"Uh..it might be." Newt said in an in a nervous tone, even though he tried to be confident about it.

It was Tina's turn to sigh. Ella gave Newt an apologetic smile, and he smiled at her thankfully. Tina spotted Mr. Kowalski who was slumped against the wall. Tina hurried over and crouched in front of him. Letting out a frustrated groan Tina examined the muggle.

"Look, His necks bleeding and he's hurt!" Tina exclaimed. Newt looked down at his case.

"Wake up Mr. No-Maj! Wake up!" Tina tried to wake Mr. Kowalski up. He groaned but something jumped from behind the muggle and tried to bite Tina's jacket sleeve. Stumbling back in fright, Ella gasped. Newt lunged forward and grabbed the thing by it's tail. It was a Murtlap.

"Mercy Lewis what is that!" Tina cried backing away from it as it struggled in Newt's grasp.

"That is," Newt shoved the creature back into the case. "A murtlap."

Ella was right. Mr. Kowalski had woken up and was clutching his forehead and breathing heavily. Then he looked up and saw Newt.

"You..." He trailed off.

"Hello." Newt said cheerily. Mr. Kowalski tried to stand up but was a bit wobbly as he did. Tina helped him stand.Newt pulled out his wand to Obliviate the man but Tina moved in front of the muggle. Ella reached forward and put her hand on Newt's and pushed his wand down. Newt looked at her questioningly. She realized what she had done and immediately took her hand away and placed it on her suitcase.

"You can't Obliviate him! He's a witness now and he's sick!" Tina exclaimed.

"Murtlap bites aren't that harmful." Newt tried to reason.

Mr. Kowalski grabbed the cabinets next to him and retched.

"Okay, that's slightly more severe reaction than I've seen." Newt confessed. Tina gave him an incredulous look. Ella found herself wandering around the room as Newt explained the side effects of the bite and tina scolding him about letting loose the creatures by accident. Mr. Kowalski was an ordinary man with an ordinary life. She felt bad for him knowing that he would soon forget about all of the magic he's seen. Sometimes Ella wished she was a muggle and she didn't have to deal with some things that she wished had never happened to her. But she couldn't change that now.

"Come on." Tina said and grabbed Ella's arm and disapparated.

When they touched solid ground again Ella glared at Tina.