Chapter Ten

Daybreak arrived and she awoke in her hammock. Newt must have carried her there not long after she drifted off.
She wasn't scheduled to go into the maze that day, but Newt, however, was. After finishing light work in the gardens, she had the rest of the day to herself.
"Greenie!" she heard Alby call.
She was no longer the newest arrival. Since she had entered the Glade, three other boys had come up out of the box. Although since her name was still unknown, everyone continued to call her Greenie.
She walked over to him and saw a vexed expression strung across his face and Gally standing behind him.
"What is it Alby?"
"Gally, here, tells me you and Newt went into the maze unauthorized, is that correct?"
She threw a hateful gaze at Gally,
"Yesterday in the map room, you were eavesdropping on us!"
Alby raised his voice,
"Greenie! Answer me, did you two go in the maze alone and without permission?"
"Well...yeah. But you can't blame Newt. He said it wasn't a good idea, he didn't want to do it. I made him."
"Fourteen nights in the Slammer, and you're not running the maze for two months, got it? I'm putting you on Bloodhouse duty. Double shifts."
Alby walked away, but Gally still remained with a smug look.
"You are a lousy snitch. What did I ever do to you? Why do you have to be such a fucking bastard all the time?"
He stepped closer,
"Look, the Creators of the maze put you in here for a reason. They gave us a girl just to mess with us, to destroy the peace, to cause chaos."
"You think that just because I'm a girl I'm going to cause chaos? How does that even make sense?"
"Dunno, but when the Creators do something it's never in our favor..."
He turned and left. She clenched her fists in anger and let out a long breath.
It was dusk when the runners returned and the walls shut. She hurried over to Newt before Alby got to him,
"Newt!"
"What happened, Greenie?"
"Gally, he overheard us yesterday and—"
She was interrupted by the sound of Alby calling his name.
"I'm sorry," she added before he gave her a confused look and walked to Alby.
She was thrown into the Slammer, a hallowed out ditch in the ground that was covered by wooden bars, as soon as night hit. She was sitting on the hard dirt floor and watching the moon, when she heard footsteps. In the soft glow, she could make out Newt's face.
"How bad is it?" she questioned.
"He gave me Bloodhouse duty in the morning before I run and seven nights in the Slammer once you're out."
"I'm so sorry, Newt. This is all my fault."
"Well, Alby also told me you said it was all your idea. Why did you tell him that? He probably would've gone easier on you."
"And let you take most of the heat? I wasn't about to do that."
He held his hand out threw the bars and she took it.
"Thanks, Greenie. And for the record I would've done it over again if I got the chance."
She laughed,
"It was a close call with that Griever, though. And thank you, for taking me to the maze then and for coming now."
"You didn't think I'd let you spend the night in there alone, did you?"
"I was kind of hoping you wouldn't."
He sat by the Slammer until the sun arose the next day.

                  *Chapter Ten of Twenty-three*