Chapter Eighteen

The silence between the two was beginning to become unbearable. She was desperate to at least speak to Newt and decided to join him and Minho as they ate.
"Hey, Minho." she said as she sat down.
She looked and him and added,
"Hi, Newt."
Newt stared as he relished the sight of her and the sound of her voice. He replied,
"Hey, Greenie."
He longed to say her name.
She attempted to start a conversation.
"Have you talked to Chuck yet?"
Newt replied,
"No, how is he?"
"Scared, but I mean who isn't? He's a sweet kid."
Minho responded,
"Then it was quite the shame that he got Gally to show him around his first day."
Laughs sounded from the three and she watched Newt's warm, brown eyes.
"We should go, Newt." Minho said motioning to the maze.
Newt nodded, not breaking contact with her until they left.
She was not scheduled to run that day and figured she would work on examining the patterns of the maze.
She shut the door to the map room and turned. Her eyes widened,
"Gally. What are you doing here?"
"I thought I'd just take a look at the model."
"What use would it be to you? You're not a runner."
"Just because I'm not a runner doesn't mean I don't want to get the hell out of here, Greenie."
She shrugged her shoulders and pulled papers and charcoal out of a wooden desk drawer. She leaned over the flat surface and began sketching more maze patterns.
"So I heard about you and Newt." he said as she continued. She rolled her eyes.
Damn it, Minho.
She replied,
"Yeah, well Alby was pretty pissed when he found out so...wait, why the hell am I telling you this?"
She kept silent and proceeded on with her layout. She felt Gally's breath on the side of her face and looked up,
"Do you mind? You're buggin' annoying me here."
He folded his arms and took a step back,
"I'm sorry, I didn't know the princess here needed her own private bubble."
"Hey, you're the one that came here in the first place, shank. Must you always be so aggravating?"
"I'm aggravating? You should try spending a minute with you, I guarantee it'll kill you before the maze does."
"Why are you so angry all the time, Gally?"
He gave her a harsh stare, let out a frustrated sigh, and slammed the door behind him as he left.
She glared at the door and shook her head before turning back to her work.
She wrote on the corner of the page:
A13 is
She whispered to herself,
"A13...A13 is...is what?"
She slammed the charcoal piece down in vexation. Her mind was occupied only with the thought of Newt. It had been days since she had gotten any rest, as it was always him who calmed her down. The night was when she was tormented with memories of the WICKED compound and her fears of what the Creators would do next. The truth was, she needed Newt. He seemed to be the only sense of clarity and light in this universe of corruption. She desired for him to tell her that he felt the same.
An impulse uncontrollably moved her outside of the map room and into the Glade, searching hopelessly for Newt.
She heard someone say behind her,
"Greenie."
She turned and met his warm eyes again.
"Newt, I was just looking for you."
"Same here. I was wondering if I could talk to you."
"Of course."
He took her hand and led her behind one of the wooden buildings among the Homestead. When they were fully masked behind it, he pressed his lips fully onto hers and broke away.
Her cheeks went red and she looked up at him,
"But Alby said—"
"—and he was right. This is no place for relationships like this. But here we are, and I can't stop bloody thinking about you. I love you, Rosalind."
She stared at his loving face, her being fully and utterly consumed by felicity, and replied,
"I love you, Newt."

             *Chapter Eighteen of Twenty-three*