Chapter 1

Theorizing that one could time travel within their own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett led an elite group of scientists into the desert to test his theory. However, fearing he would lose his funding if they didn't get some results, Sam prematurely stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from the project from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so, Dr. Beckett finds himself "leaping" from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home.

As Sam leaped from the body which he previously inhabited, he felt something different. He didn't immediately leap into the next person, but lingered in space; nothingness, like he was waiting to be let in by something. After a few minutes of delay, Sam leaped into the next person with a jolt.

He was standing in a large, dark room, lit only by a huge column of glass surrounding a blue-green light. it was sitting on top of a large, circular panel board covered with switches, knobs, levers, loads of buttons, a typewriter, and a few screens lighting up with all sorts of unusual readings. Sam didn't know much about flying, but he could tell that this was very unlike any plane he had ever been forced to pilot and appeared to be more like a set for a movie or a prop of some kind than something that could fly.

Upon looking down, Sam discovered that he was wearing a pinstripe brown suit, a nice-looking red tie, and white converse shoes. His heart was beating rapidly and he felt lighter than air- why would he feel so ecstatic as soon as he leaped in? He usually felt confused and dazed when he leaped into a new person's life.

"Doctor?" someone said from behind him. He spun around and saw a woman with dark hair, dark skin, and dark eyes. She was eying him suspiciously, realizing that something must be wrong. "Something the matter?" She spoke with an English accent.

"No... no, nothing's wrong," he replied, grinning. As he looked around the room, he spotted his reflection in one of the screens. The man in the mirror was grinning like he couldn't help it, which was true. Sam discovered that this man must be him, or at least the body he leaped into. He had dark, spikey hair and deep brown eyes, plus he even had sideburns. Sam thought that he looked like a pretty cool guy.

The woman stepped closer to him. Her stare was making him nervous, but he was too excited to care. He was eager to learn more about his situation and really couldn't help himself in that respect, so he hoped this "Doctor" was supposed to be this way.

"So, where are we?" she asked. Same had no idea- how could he? And why didn't she? Didn't she know where this building was? It looked huge. Sam looked away timidly, saying "Oh boy..." to himself.

Back in the waiting room, Al was getting ready to meet the new inhabitant of his best friend's body. It was his job to find out as much as he could about him or her so maybe they could find out what Sam was there to do. He hoped whomever it was would just be cooperative and not make some huge deal about being "in the future" or "an alien spaceship" or something so he could just get the information and make the leap as quick as possible. However, most people weren't anything like that and either lied to make themselves sound better or weren't fit enough to give him any info... which they couldn't help, he supposed, but still. He got that a lot and was just tired of it.

Al stepped cautiously into the room so as to not scare the newcomer, whoever they were. Al was relieved to find that they were scouring the room in curiosity, eyes shining with glee. "Oh, this is brilliant!" the newcomer exclaimed. "Absolutely brilliant!" Though this person was inside Sam's body, he spoke with an English accent and seemed to "look" completely different than Sam because of his body language and a special something in his eyes.