Chapter 13

Martha and Haimund sat in silence for a few minutes after the Doctor fell asleep.

"Do you think we should go try to find that girl?" she asked, breaking the silence.

"Girl?"

"The one Al said was in trouble," she reminded him.

"Oh, right," Haimund said. "Yeah, I reckon we'd better keep an eye on her. I dunno when she was supposed to be carried off."

"How come Al didn't say anything to the Doctor about that?" Martha wondered aloud. "He was so worried bout her earlier- he wouldn't just drop it like that."

"Worried? Didn't seem worried to me, miss. We didn't even see him."

Martha smirked. "You wouldn't know, you're not a doctor." 

"Well, shoot, I guess you're right." Haimund nodded. "I don't know anything about that kinda thing." 

"It was what the Doctor said that he said that told me," she clarified. "It was urgent, and the Doctor knew it. Why would he just forget about her like that?" Martha felt a chill run trough her as she realized the answer to her own question. "I think she's already been taken by the angel, Haimund."

"Already? Hasn't even been that long...." 

"I'm pretty sure. It's the only explanation; we would have gotten news on her if there was any, yeah?" 

"Then what do we do now?" he asked. 

"I don't know.... Hey, wait a minute!" she remembered. "Where's the other weeping angel? We should go look for that! It could be causing more trouble!" 

"What about the Doctor?" 

"He'll be fine- he should sleep for another few hours at least. If he wakes up and sees we're gone, he'll go back to sleep, hopefully. Come on, Haimund," she said as she walked away, gesturing that he should follow. He stood up slower than she had because of his aching knees, but caught up to her all the same. 

"Come on!" They ran out of the hospital, which wasn't busy, surprisingly. The hospital at which Martha worked was always lively and active, but this place seemed almost desolate. It was the only hospital in this huge city and yet had almost no people in it, so where were all the injured people? Maybe it just wasn't busy this time of year. Whatever, Martha thought. She decided to only focus the problem at hand and not to invent any more issues to handle. She quite simply didn't have time for that. 

"Where was the last place we saw it?" Haimund asked. 

"Well that doesn't really matter now, does it?" she pointed out. "You know how fast they are and they wanted that girl so they're long gone by now. We'll have to ask around. You know anyone that would know anything about that?" 

"I migh' know a few." 

"Doctor, it worked! Sam's back," Al reported as he rushed into the medical wing. "Whatever you did, keep doing it. Unless it was just a one time thing and you don't need to. Whatever."

The Doctor was in no mood to talk, but he managed to say in reply, "It's probably temporary, unless Sam can do whatever he's supposed to do and get out of here fast." 

"Okay, well, there's a problem with that," Al said, looking down with a melancholy expression and sighing softly. "The girl was taken by the angels and I looked her up, but there's no record of her anywhere in any time except her history until now." 

"........... Sorry, what?" the Doctor asked. "Sorry, I guess I blanked out or something just then." 

Al rolled his eyes. He knew it wasn't his fault and that he was speaking to a concussed man, but it was still getting irritating. It was also pretty hard to speak about even though he hardly knew the girl. He took a deep breath to calm himself before repeating, "The girl was taken by the angels and now I'm pretty sure she's dead, alright?"