Chapter 9

Sam felt like he was being held down; suppressed. It was like he was trapped in someone else's mind and he was totally at its mercy. Sam could do nothing while he was pulled deep into the Doctor's subconscious and blacked out completely from any form of consciousness.

Martha and Haimund had been talking with Tem, or Bela Temport, as she and the Doctor previously knew her. She listened to what happened in the past from her point of view, which was almost the same as Haimund's story except the fact that she was first to go in the past and had to adjust to this herself because poor little Haimund wasn't handling it well. Martha enjoyed her colorful narration of their first meeting in 1949, but it was interrupted by a muffled yell from a few rooms over. It was her name.

"Was that him?"

"Must've been!" Martha replied. They heard the Doctor's scream from another room, but with difficulty as it wasn't very loud. However, they heard the desperation in his call so they hastily headed for his room. Martha opened the door and turned on the light.

The Doctor looked just as he did before; he was lying just as Haimund had placed him earlier. If he had called out before, which Martha was pretty sure he had, he seemed to be unconscious now. Martha lifted his eyelids to see if he was awake and at the same time check his pupil dilation. His pupils didn't contract with the bright light of the room and that unnerved Martha.

"Somethin' wrong, miss?" Haimund noticed Martha's concerned expression.

"He's not responding to the change in light...." She trailed off, knowing any further explanation would be lost to him because he hadn't been through medical school, or at least part of the way through. She continued to examine him, and it didn't take her more than a few seconds to notice something important.

Martha reached down by his left ear and touched the blood slowly flowing from it. Her heart dropped and she said softly, "Oh my God...."

"Martha, we've gotta get him to the hospital," he said.

"I know," she said, forgetting about how terrible this was and focusing on a way to fix it. "Call an ambulance, now. Don't move him at all- don't even touch him, do you hear me? I think he has more than a concussion...." She softly felt his forehead where the bruise was and found that it was unnervingly uneven and it almost felt jagged. Cracked skull? Fractured? Broken? She hoped she hadn't hurt him by touching it....

"Yes, ma'am," he nodded and headed toward the phone.

Martha had an uneasy feeling about taking the Doctor to the hospital. After all, he would surely need some kind of surgery for his head, but she didn't doubt that they would notice his two hearts and maybe even more unusual things about him. She figured his skull wouldn't be different than a regular human's, but she wasn't so sure about his brain structure. It would probably be at least a bit different than a human's brain, even if this was only slight. However, she couldn't let him go any longer without seeing a medical doctor; even if someone found out he was an alien, that would still be better than him dying via internal bleeding. They at least could get out of any situation in which the knowledge of the Doctor's species could get them. They couldn't stop him from dying by themselves.

Haimund and Tem came through the ajar door to the Doctor's room. "They're on their way. What now?" he asked.

"Wait for them to get here, I guess," Martha replied. They stood there in silence until they heard the sirens of the ambulance. Haimund went out to meet them. Martha couldn't hear what he said, but she knew he was telling them where he was and what he knew about his condition; it was just logical. A few seconds later two medics burst through the door with a stretcher and prepared immediately to place him on it.