Home part 2

We arrived to my apartment and as we ascend the stairs we hear the arguing already. I hear Lia whimper. I hold her hand as we slowly continue walking up the stairs. I heard a loud band and Eli yell, "Shit!" I pick up Lia and glance down the hallway to where she lives. There is clothes scattered in the hallway and the door is off the hinges. I gasp at the sight.

"I told you to leave more than once. Every month since he's been gone you've fucking been here. Today it's been a year he's been gone. So we can make this hard, or you can be leaving and never come around here again." Eli was in the guys face, had him pinned against the wall. The guy actually looked scared. I couldn't tell where the blood was from, but it was everywhere. Lia started to cry and that's when I knew I had to go. I ran to my apartment with her and I unlocked my door in a record time. I slammed the door behind me. I sat Lia on the couch and sank in front of her. "Are you okay?" I asked her quietly as I wipe away a tear that was obviously my answer. I sighed and sat beside her, pulling her closer so she could lean on me.

Lia was about 4, maybe 5, but was talented for her age. She was smart. She knew how to cope with things normal people hadn't begun to grasp the concept of. She had light brown hair, average height, very skinny but not malnourished,and her eyes were very exotic. She has tinted blue-purple colored eyes. They were so unique and I often had joked with her saying that one look when she was old enough and all the guys were going to fall for her. She'd roll her eyes and usually say, "What, like you?" and we'd laugh.

I got up for a moment to look out my tiny little apartment window. I saw that Eli and the guy were outside and I could see Eli pushing the guy into a vehicle. I sighed and replayed that night in my head when everything went down, a year ago, with my dad. The guy drove off and I saw Eli run back into the building.

I went to go stand by the door and waited for him to knock. He did and I opened it. He looked exhausted. I looked at him and he stared at me. "She's on the couch, I think I got her to sleep for a little bit." I spoke hesitantly. "You can go shower, I think I still have some of you clothes in my closet." I offered. He nodded and headed for the bathroom, and I followed. I was about to tell him to give me his clothes so I could wash them but he turned around and snapped, "I don't need you to follow me around. I'm fucking fine." I stared at him in complete shock. What the hell?

"I was going to ask if you wanted me to wash your clothes, sorry for bothering you in my own apartment. I didn't think you'd want to wear blood stained clothes." I snapped back and turned on my heel, slamming the door in his face. I heard him sigh but he didn't say anything else. I heard the water start and went to my room to change, but stopped to lock the door and check on Lia before doing so.

I was changing when I heard Lia say my name. I pulled on my sweatpants and ran out to see if she was okay. She relaxed once she saw me. "Yes?" I asked. She looked at me shyly and mumbled, "Do I have to go home tonight?" I smiled and shook my head no. "I just have to go check something, okay? I'll be right back. That guy that came to save us took away the bad guy and he will be out in a moment." I told her. And as if on que, he appeared in a pair of sweatpants. Just sweatpants. I looked at him. "I'll be right back, you know where everything is. She's staying the night so I'll sleep in here with her, you can have my room." I explained and walked out the door not waiting on a reply.

I went to Lia's apartment to get her some clothes and see how her mom was doing. I walked down the empty hallway smelling a musky smell from everywhere. I cleared my throat for a second. I reached the door and knocked lightly, "Hello?" I asked. She ran to the door and barely peeked it open. "Hi, um, I was just letting you know that Lia asked to stay the night and I told her it was okay with me as long as you said it was okay." I rushed out all the words and now my heart was racing. I felt so horrible about everything that they have been through. She smiled shyly and spoke softly, "Of course she can. It will keep her safe." I nodded my head and asked, "Do you mind if I get some clothes for her? If not that's o-" she cut me off, "Dear, it's fine. You can take whatever you need with you. Tell her I said I love her for me, please?" I saw the sadness in her eyes. She had grabbed my hand and I squeezed he delicate hand lightly, "Thank you, and I will." I said.

I went to Lia's room after stepping over the broken mess in throughout the apartment. I went to her closet and then picked out a few shirts and pants. I grabbed a hoodie just in case, along with her favorite stuffed animal. Her room was small, a dull-ish pink color, faded blue curtains. Maybe she should just come live with me. I can take care of her, I thought to myself. I stopped and realized what I had just thought. No, no, no, and no. I can't. I shook the thought out of my head and walked out of the room quietly, closing the door behind. I said goodbye to her mother, but never brought up the offer of letting her stay with me permanently.

I got back to my apartment and open the door. I smile as Lia comes to hug me. I gave her the stuff I brought and she smiled even more when she saw I brought the stuffed animal. "You brought him, just for me?" She asked. I laughed a little, "Why, of course I did Lia. He's your favorite." She shook her head no, "You're more my favorite." She said and then ran to the living room. I stood up all the way again and was looking at her as she jumped on the couch landing right on Eli. I started to make sure he was okay but then they both starting laughing. Eli picked her up as he decided to run towards me; He placed her in my arms as she was still giggling. I rolled my eyes at him and put her down.

"Can I still make dinner?" Eli asked, peeking a look at me around the corner. I smiled a little and started to laugh after he gave me a pouty face. "Yes, you can cook." He smiled and got to work, shooing Lia and I out of the kitchen.

Lia picked a movie and began to watch it on my small little TV. I wasn't really paying attention to anything that was going except trying to figure out whose pants I was wearing. Then it hit me. They were my dads. I knew the pattern seemed so odd. I closed my eyes, and started to replay that night, a year ago, when my whole life changed.