Chapter 8 - Phantoms

Just know that when you see me cringe sometimes, I'm trying to rid the poison from my mind.

I will suck the elixir from your fingertips until I feel my head start caving in.
My mouth will overflow with your evil soul, and I'll be convulsing for days in this hole.

The Spill Canvas – Your Evil Soul

I awoke in a cold, cavernous room, my mouth felt dry and my head swam as I tried to make out my surroundings. A man stood with his back to me and I thought it was James for a moment, but then my vision cleared and I noticed his stance, his shoulders, the way he held his head. He was built closer to Kael than James.

I tried to move, but wasn't the least bit surprised when I found that I couldn't. I was tied to the chair I sat in, rather thoroughly, which was bolted to the floor, also maddeningly thoroughly. A dull metal gleamed from my wrists and ankles; electrum. I swore in my head. Kael had taught me about the rare metal, strong enough to bind even a Half if enchanted by the blood of a higher percentage, able to be cursed or blessed. It could render a Darkling's Sign or Gifts useless, if the enchantment was perfect, if the warlock was strong enough, well-read enough. Kael had said he was good enough to do most anything with it, and I knew Nevaeh's whips were proof of his aptitude. Unfortunately, a member of this Clan seemed to be just as good, or they owed someone an expensive favor.

I glanced around, but there was nothing near me, no way to free myself from the damned chair I was stuck in. Instead, I glared at the man in front of me, fuming. I was frustrated that all my work, all my perfectionism in killing my targets, honing my skills had so easily been thwarted by some stupid vision of James' eyes. I was sure he hadn't really been there. I hadn't felt him. I should have felt him if it was really him. I sat silently, glaring at the man who seemed oblivious to my new-found consciousness.

I cleared my throat after a minute or two, bored with the waiting game. The man half-turned then, but said nothing, he merely looked at me with light brown eyes, little flecks of gold in them, before turning to the door he was facing, his back to me once more. He was tall and tan, with light brown hair that matched his eyes, but he wasn't anything special, just large like an animal, like a grizzly.

"Strong, silent type. I like that."

I spoke after the silence of the room began to drive me mad. He ignored this as well, continuing to stare at the door. I tried to open my Gift, to dive into his mind, but it was like it was missing. I silently cursed the electrum before closing my eyes again.

I don't know how long I waited, how long I sat there silently, eyes closed, trying to think of an escape plan, but eventually, I heard a quiet tap and then a loud grating noise. I peeked out from one eye to see the door the man faced slowly open, scraping along the ground heavily as it did. The slight woman from the ambush walked in, she looked even tinier compared to the big room, the big man. She pulled back her hood, shaking the snow from it and I saw she was even smaller than I had thought, she looked young too, maybe sixteen. I swore in my head again. I had been captured by a child.

She had deep skin that made me think of how well she must hide in shadows, even in the dim room her expression was almost difficult to make out, and I had never had an issue seeing in low light. I scowled as I realized the electrum made me useless, basically Human. She had her hair cut short and wild, with pretty roasted-coffee brown eyes peering out from a round face.

Young wasn't a good enough word to describe her, she looked infantile, infantile and dark. Everything, even her jacket and jeans, were hues of brown or black. She reminded me of a sparrow, or maybe a bat, or some other small, flying creature. Or a baby deer, something about her seemed like a fawn. My scowl deepened as I felt a wave of shame for being so easily captured by a kid and the others she played house with.