Chapter 16

Flying over, I somehow managed to maneuver through the other planes and dodge around the explosions that carried themselves up miles into the air as fiery smoky clouds. Upon reaching the city, Violetta took over the controls and landed us safely in a hidden area. Once we despatched, Seth made contact with us.

"Ok, Master wants you to analyze the situation down there and attack the upper first quartile."

"Why?!" Violetta harshly whispered, "what about the civilians?"

"Violetta! Are you stupid or something? The civilians that had not been capture or killed in the Dark Resistance, fled the city. Some are being held in strongholds; some neutrally, others as hostages. Many escaped and we have no clue where they are. Anyway, we are the civilians. The non-armed civilians were about 100 or less in the city."

"I apologize, Seth. I must have been absent that day."

"Come to think of it, yes, you were put in quartile isolation for - "

"Ok, Seth! I know! Now shut it so we can work." she harshly replied before switching off the contact line. Turning to me, she explained what we were going to do.

----

Analyzing the city was hard to do, especially if you didn't know what exactly you were meant to analyze or what was regarded as important. But nothing could prepare me for this.

Walking through the avenues, I finally realized how empty and isolated they were. It really did seem like a scene from the apocalypse or something. I left the cool, dark alley and turned right, into one of the main streets. The grey, metal buildings were thicker and taller than any of the skyscrapers that existed in my time. It was as if an ant was looking at factory like skyscrapers. Trees lined the avenue on both sides and on the right side (as I walked uptown) there was a crystal blue clean lake. Most people that passed it found it very out of place. It was like placing a new, beautiful, cold bottle of water among trash in some worn down area. After walking down enough to reach the other side of the skyscrapers in the block (or rather where the road gently curved left) I came to an intersection. What I saw chilled my blood and sent a shock down my spine. Though covered in dust, I could make out the name on the street sign.

Brook Avenue