Chapter 25

P.O.V. Diega

Sliding through the hallways, Alex and I made our way to the control room to clear the airspace. Whilst clicking the various buttons and coordinating the touch screens, the message appeared that the alarms of airspace have been turned off.

"Done." said Alex turning to face me.

There was a long silence as we stood by the panels. Once we started making our way back, I was the one to break the silence.

"Why did you come back?"

Alex paused before answering.

"I....I...don't know."

"Yes you do," I replied, sliding up into the air vent. I stuck my hand down and helped pull him up. "People don't just resign loyalty for the sake of it. There is always a reason."

"Well, I realized that there was a hidden manipulator in the Nikkians. And-". He suddenly stopped moving and talking. I had to turn around to make sure nothing was wrong with him.

"What is it?" I asked gently, seeing his face that was trying not to show emotion.

"Well...Sofía. When I saw her, so vulnerable and wanting to return to her family-she reminded me of you guys. You ar-were- my family. You always had my back. You were always kind to me. I blew it. I know. It is all my fault and things will never go back to how they were before because of my stupidity and bravado. I'm sorry. I honestly am. Now I'll never regain your friendship...."

"Prove to us that this isn't a trap; succeed in the mission and I'll think about it." I replied before exiting the vent onto the ground. Overhead I watched some of our planes soar toward the Mubetaxi forest.

"C'mon - let's go."

****

At last we reached the hideout. Fabio's cohort, Delfino's infiltration team as well as Master Xenon were all present.

"First test accomplished." Master Xenon turned to Alex, "but that doesn't mean that you passed the exam."

Nodding, Alex opened the metal door, revealing a staircase. Delfino's infiltration team entered first. Suddenly we heard a shout from one of the soldiers, "Master!  We have visual!"

Sofía.

They found Sofía.

"You have done well Alex."

We turned to the voice behind us.

A man of about 39 stood before us. Behind him were about 35 soldiers.

I turned, flabbergasted and angry, to look at Alex.

He looked as shocked as I did, but now I wasn't so sure if the shock was genuine.