5

Layla's point of view

All week, I didn't say anything to Ben and he didn't say anything to me. We still sat together at lunch with our friends, but none of us really talked.

Of course I was upset about Ben, but when Friday came, I was extremely happy. It was finally my 18th birthday.

My mom and dad woke both me and Ed up with breakfast in bed and everyone sang to us when we got downstairs. My uncles, all my aunts, my nieces and nephews and my grandparents were all downstairs as well, which surprised us. We didn't think they were coming until later. I was a bit sad that my family on dad's side wasn't there, but aunt Gemma had work and so did Grandma. Unfortunately, we're not in touch with dad's dad anymore after he re-married and totally forgot about us.

Before we went to school, Chris insisted that I opened his and Jennie's present, and Ed's too. I got a Victoria's Secret makeup bag and Ed got a new game for his Playstation.

After breakfast, Ed and I got ready for school. I wore my favorite outfit today, just because it was my birthday.

When we arrived at school, everyone we met in the hallway wished us happy birthday. It was so nice that everyone had remembered.

The school day was pretty much like any other, except for lunch time. I was sat opposite from Ben again and while everyone was talking loudly I heard him quietly say "Happy Birthday."

I faked a smile and thanked him. I did as Sarah had told me to; raise myself above it. Kill 'em with kindness, you kow.

After school, Ed and I took a little trip down to the beach house to get things ready. We put away all the breakable things and moved most of the furniture out to the garage. Then we sat up the speakers and tested it. Definitely loud enough for tonight. I nearly died laughing when we turned it on and it was so loud that Ed jumped and fell to the ground.

When everything was ready, we headed home. Mom and dad had prepared our favorite dinner, homemade pizza, followed by cake and ice cream for dessert.

While we were eating dessert, we opened our presents. From mom and dad we got a shared car, which almost made me cry out of happiness. Until now, we had just borrowed mom or dad's car when they weren't using it.

After we had opened all our presents, we decided to get ready for our party. My nieces Joanna and Julie, aunt Fizzy's 7 year old twin daughters, came with me into my room to help me get ready. Jennie came in too and all three of them helped me pick out an outfit.

We ended up with a black dress that went mid-thigh and black wedges. I also put on Nike Pro shorts under my dress so I could dance without having to worry about my panties showing.

Then, the girls left my room while I did my makeup. Aunt Lottie helped me with that, while my aunt Doris did my hair. She was only 2 years older than me, which was crazy. Grandma really had a lot of kids.

Before I even knew it, it was 8 pm and Ed and I had to leave. The party didn't start until 9, bit we still needed to fix non-alcohol drinks. Dad said there already was some at the beach house, but we still needed to pour it into bowls and set out cups.

It was a nightmare having to do that, but eventually people started coming. It didn't take long before the whole house was filled with people. One thing that scared us though, was that some people had brought their own alcohol. But, we didn't want to be those party poopers and take it away from them, so we just let them drink. 

So far, none of my closest friends had arrived, but I was relieved when I saw Jacob arrive. 

"Jacob!" I shouted. He waved, smiled, and walked over to me.