Immortal Impossibility (A Damon and Elena Baby Story)

I stared down at the item in my hand with three emotions swirling in my head.

First, disbelief. This couldn't happen. It just couldn't. With everything going on, everyone I have lost, life wouldn't do this too me.

Second, confusion. Could fate honestly have this in store for me? No. It was impossible. Right?

Third, fear. I am only 18. I don't want to be a parent and Damon doesn't either. Damon and I can't be parents to a child we NEVER planned on having. Vampires aren't supposed to be able to procreate. What would Damon even say?

I couldn't help myself from crying at the item in my hands.

My tears began coming harder and harder until the stick reading positivein my hands was blurred from my vision.

I slid my back down the bathroom door and dropped the pregnancy test on the floor. Pulling my legs up to my chest, and wrapping my arms around them, I felt secure, something I defiantly needed to feel.

This was something familiar to me. When you lose almost everyone and everything in your life, you tend to find ways to comfort yourself.

I was suddenly jolted into reality when I head someone knocking at the bathroom door.I quickly stood up and began wiping away my tears.

"Elena come on! You're the one who insisted on going to this stupid town barbeque!" Damon said with a slight annoyance in his voice.

Damon. The guy I loved. The guy who protected me through everything. The guy who would do anything to keep me safe. The guy who gave me a baby.

My thought overcame me again but I choked away tears.

"Yeah, I know, I am coming." I said attempting normalcy.

Unfortunately for me however, my voice cracked, giving away that I was crying.

"Are you okay?" Damon asked hesitancy clear in his voice.

"Yeah." I again tried to reply before breaking into tears.

Damon opened the door, suspicion etched on his face. He wrapped me in a hug.

"What is the matter?" He asked with concern.

I didn't say anything. My sobs filled the silence and Damon's shirt became wet with my tears.

"What is that?" Damon asked unwrapping his arms from around me and picking up something off of the floor.

I looked at what he picked up and stayed silent. I couldn't look him in the eyes.

"Elena?" He questioned almost silently.

"Elena!" He now demanded my attention.

Looking up my eyes met his cold blue ones. I couldn't say anything. I couldn't even begin to think of something to say.

Damon sat beside me and we sat their for a good 5 minutes before he spoke up.

"It has to be something that the witches did." Damon replied borderline angrily.

"Do you hear it?" I asked him quietly.

He looked confused momentarily before looking down.

Their it was. A heartbeat clear as day. I could hear it and my brain couldn't decide whether it calmed me or made me anxious. I was feeling every emotion at once. Only one word could truly describe it.

I was overwhelmed.

Damon ran a hand through his raven black hair before standing up.