5. Midnight Movies

I shot up in my seat, clenching the paper tightly in my hands as I read it over and over again. Notes had become a haunting thing for me. Between Pandora and Harry, notes were connected with pain. This note was unlike those though. I didn't feel anguish or loss as my eyes flitted over the paper time and time again. No, there was only one feeling.

Anger.

Anger rippled throughout my entirety, sending waves that crashed and collided. My teeth were grinding and my sight had been tainted red. My fists were curling around the small slip of paper, nearly tearing it in two.

"Aisling, what's wrong?" Jared's worried voice traveled from the seat behind Doc's. He was leaning forward towards me.

"This isn't how it works." I spat.

"How what works? Aisling, what are you talking about?" Jared's voice was rising in pitch as his anxiety became evident.

I chuckled darkly and ran my hand through my hair while the other hand still grasped the note tightly. "She has no idea who she's dealing with."

"Who? Aisling, please tell me what you're talking about."

I whipped around in my seat and glowered with all the fury that was pumping through my bloodstream. Jared looked taken aback by my sudden fury, eyes wide and round as he leaned back in his seat. I couldn't let him or the others know what was happening. I had to work alone while keeping the others ignorant and oblivious to the situation.

Sighing heavily, I closed my eyes and turned back in my seat, concentrating on evening my breathing. I tucked the slip of paper back into my pocket and used both hands to rub my temples.

"Sorry about that." I muttered softly, hoping Jared would hear my apology.

I felt a hand pat my shoulder lightly and Jared whispered, "Don't worry about it. Your day has been stressful."

I hummed in response, rubbing my temples harder.

Today had been stressful. Stress was something that could make or break a person. Working under stress could either get the job done better or destroy it in a second flat. For some, stress was exactly what they needed to push them harder, but for others, it was what would render them helpless and crumple their spirit. Stress was something that everyone dealt with daily. It was time to figure out what kind of person I was under stress.

I opened my eyes and ceased my rubbing action to lean against the window. I looked out, seeing looming, dark clouds further down in the direction we were heading. I let my eyes close once more as I let the day's events drag me under into a blissful rest.

Things were going to change real soon.

I could feel my body swaying. My mind was still foggy as the rhythmic thumping moved my weary body. My mind was trying to push through the smoke that clouded my senses. Groggily, I opened my eyes and looked through the haze.

"Doc?" I croaked, lolling my head to the side to look for him.

He chuckled lightly, "I'm up here, Aisling."

With all the strength I could muster, I lifted my head to peer up at a grinning Doc who held me in his arms. His glasses were fogged up, making him look ridiculous. A lopsided smile toyed at the edges of my mouth, growing the longer I looked at him. He was fighting the smile that longed to appear on his lips, but inevitably lost the battle. He grinned down at me, causing my smile to widen even more.

"That nap did you some good, didn't it? Maybe you should take naps more often." Doc joked.

I hummed in agreement and nodded vehemently. "Yeah. That nap did me good. Now my head is screwed on straight."