Chapter 2- A Little Love Drunk

The ride from Isengard to Edoras was long. Our company was weary and distraught at the loss of Saruman; our one hope to learn more of the Enemy and his movements. It didn’t help that now King Théoden believed I was an asset of Evil and a spy.

The Hobbits kept a keen eye on me, worry in their eyes; yet they were not afraid of me. “It will be alright,” Merry mouthed to me, sharing a weak smile.

I buried my face into Legolas’ back, hoping and praying that all of this talk of “curse” and “death” would cease to be attached to my name. “Everything will be alright, amin lye,” the Prince of Mirkwood whispered, gripping my hand with his. “I will not let anything or anyone harm you.”

I swallowed hard. “Can you protect yourself from me?”

He turned to face me with frightened eyes. “What?”

“If I am really as dangerous as Saruman says, then I will lay waste to all who anger me. I do not wish to harm those closest to me- especially you. The Fellowship is my family, and I will not harm my family.” My voice shook as I spoke.

Images from Galadriel’s mirror flashed through my head: Fire. Death. Aragorn and Legolas lying dead in Gondor. Screaming.

Galadriel knew.

She had known all along about the power I possessed.

“Saruman was the mouthpiece of Sauron,” Legolas said smoothly. “He only said what he wanted you to hear… he wants you to be afraid.”

I was quiet for a moment, listening to his voice and letting his words sink in. “In the mirror… back in Lothlórien,” my words became stuck in my throat and I heard my grandmother’s voice in my head.

“You brought great evil into Caras Galadhon, daughter of Imladris,” the Lady of Light’s words echoed. “I am not speaking of the Ring; you were sired from great evil of your past. Only you can decide your fate; fire is a dangerous force to wield and none can know of what you have seen. Soon, you will be trialed and if you fail, your friends will perish. Use your gift to help others- even if it seems as if you can benefit greatly. Do not let the Eye know of where you go, or you will be taken.”

“Rayel?” Legolas jarred me out of my hypnotic state.

“Hmm?” I looked up, trying to hide the fear in my eyes.

“You faded out of our world for moment.”

“I’m sorry, I was just contemplating some things,” I shrugged, trying to push the Lady and Wizard’s words from my mind.

It was my fate, wasn’t it? Can’t I change what the Valar have for me?

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

As we arrived back in Edoras, the people of the city had returned. Homes were vacant, children fatherless and women widows: reminders of what the Uruk-Hai had taken from Rohan. Atop Menduseld stood Éowyn, eagerly waiting for her brother, uncle and Aragorn.  Éomer’s frown slowly turned into a smile upon seeing her- he hadn’t been given the chance to speak to her after Helm’s Deep, and he hadn’t seen her since being exiled by Gríma.

As we reached the top of Edoras, he dismounted and his sister ran to meet him. She threw her arms around his neck and cried in happiness. His arms found their way around her small frame and they held to each other in relief.

Lady Brendawyn, who had taken to silence throughout the journey to Isengard, dismounted and took her horse and Éomer’s to the stable. There was certain sadness in his eyes; one I had seen before. It was the face of a sister who missed her brother. I felt like a knife had been pierced through my heart- I remembered when I thought Aragorn dead and all the pain that came along with it.