Chapter 3- Nightmares

In my dream, I was standing atop Amon Hen beside Boromir. His brow was creased with worry and agony; those gorgeous green eyes of his were plagued with pain. "Rayel," he choked out. "You found me."

"Boromir?" I gasped. "How can this be? You fell!"

"Yes," he nodded. "I did, and I fell protecting those who were dear to me."

Tears weld into my eyes as I threw my arms around him, sobbing into his dark, blood-stained leather coat. "I'm so sorry that I failed to protect you!" I sobbed. "I'm sorry I didn't save you."

"Oh, dear Rayel," he smiled, stroking my hair. "My soul even now is within the Halls of Mandos, under the care of Námo, Lord of the Dead. My fate was woven by Varië many, many years ago. There was nothing you could do- this was part of the plan."

I pulled away from him, bringing my hand up to his face. "I miss you, Boromir... I wish you could be here with us."

"I do not have long," he said quietly. "I came to warn you- soon you will be tempted- beyond even yourself! The Dark Lord Melkor- Morgoth- has learned of your existence and has ordered his hordes to find you. They want what power you possess, Rayel. Darkness follows where you go- your fate is your own. Not even the Valar know what will become of you."

I swallowed hard. "My Fate is unwritten? Even by Varië, who sees everything and knows all?"

"Yes, it is," he smiled sadly. "But you are strong and powerful. I know you will prevail and live a long, healthy life with you family and friends."

An ear-splitting scream rang through the forest and Boromir's image flickered. "The Lord Námo is calling me back. I must go, Rayel."

"No!" I shook my head, trying desperately to catch hold of his hand, but even know he was vanishing from my sight.

"Nämarie, dear girl," a single a tear ran down his cheek. "I shall miss you!"

"Boromir!" I shouted.

But he was gone.

I fell to my knees sobbing, "Why?" I gasped, my chest heaving. "Why does this happen?"

The sun sank behind the hills and the cool night breeze blew in, chilling me to the bone. This wasn't normal weather. A thick blanket of fog blew in, billowing around my legs and feet- wisping around the trees and choking the life from my veins. "Rayel," the ghostly fog whispered. "Daughter of Flames and Fire. Why do you run when you know we will find you?"

I stood to my feet, spinning in a wide circle. "Where are you? Show yourself!" I demanded.

To my shock, an erudite man in dark clothing materialized out of the mist before me. He was tall and lithe, raven-black was his hair and beautiful, cold golden eyes. He wore black armor which was covered in sharp, golden spikes and carried a long, double-handed sword. He was handsome, in a dark sort of way- I felt drawn to him in bizarre way.

"I am Melkor," the dashing man announced, taking my hand in his and bringing it to his lips. He kissed it softly and immediately I was filled with desire and excitement. "Lord of Darkness."

"Melkor?" I whispered.

"I adore hearing my name come from your lips, my lady," he studied my for a moment before a strange fire ignited in his eyes. "Now, my dear Elleth, I have a job for you."

"Why should I help you?" I asked quietly.

"You'll help me because you possess a power that I have been searching for many eons and ages. It would be a shame to kill someone as fair and beautiful as you. Therefore, I plan on sparing your life and making you my personal weapon."