Chapter 4: The Body

sarcasticjigglypuff To you for making me feel like a good writer -

I was fiddling with the walkie talkie again as El had her head in her hands. Still a bit shaken up from Mike throwing a tantrum at her. He sat on the couch with a bunch of drawings in his hands.

Every time I turned the knob a small static came out and I knew I was a lot closer than before. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the see him getting slightly irritated at my actions but he never said anything.

Dustin and Lucas went home which saddened me quite a lot. I feel as though I was closer to Dustin than ever now and this tense aura filling the room was not helping my unhappy state at all.

El just kept contemplating what just happened and how we can both sense Will alive after seeing his dead body being pulled out of a lake. It confused me a ton so I focused my attention to actually finding him on the walkie talkie.

"Can you please stop that?" Mike said trying to sound normal but I felt as though he was talking through gritted teeth. I just looked at him continuing my work anyway.

Murmuring came through followed with more static sounds which made me feel a slight bit happier. Maybe if I can find Will on this Mike will stop being so rude to El.

"Are you deaf?" Mike raised his voice a bit. This time I didn't bother looking up as El flinched from his sudden outburst.

"I thought we were friends you know. And friends tell each other the truth. And they definitely don't lie to each other. You made me think Will was alive and OK, and that he was still out there when he wasn't, he wasn't" Mike ranted. Once again I didn't look up as El held a face full of sympathy.

"You both through you were helping me but you weren't. You hurt me, Understand? What you did sucks. Lucas was right about the two of you all along. I don't even know why Dustin likes you Fifi" As much as Mike's words meant to hurt me, they didn't. I smiled at the thought that Dustin liked me in the first place.

As I turned the knob a little more the static came out stronger than ever. With a slight nudge more, a voice rung out on the walkie talkie. They appeared to be singing.

"Well come on and let me know..... should I stay or should I go." I looked at Mike as the blood ran down my eyes. I don't know why that always happened when all El got was a nosebleed. I always scared people off.

"Should I stay or should I go now.." Mike ran up from his seat and kneeled in front of me as El began wiping away my blood with her sleeve. " Should I stay or should I go now... If I go there will be trouble, and if I stay it will be double.."

Mike snatched the walkie talkie out of my hands as I closed my eyes and let the last bit of blood pour out. He pressed the side button and began calling Will's name. But Will couldn't hear him. I knew that.

"Was that.. was it.." Mike stuttered. Completely stunned he could hear his friends voice alive after hours of seeing his dead body.

"Will" I finished for him, giving him the strongest smile I could.

---------------------------

The boys sat in a circle around us as crying and whining came through the walkie talkie. El took it this time, giving me a break as I was worn out from the first time. I lay my head on Dustin's shoulder as he rubbed my arm up and down.

Lucas kept saying he heard a baby and that I might have tuned in next door to the neighbours who had just received a new born. But Mike and Dustin kept referring the crying to the time when Will broke his finger.