Chapter 6: New... Friends?

"I am interested in imperfections, quirkiness, insanity, unpredictability. That's what we really pay attention to anyway. We don't talk about planes flying; we talk about them crashing." ~ Tibor Kalman

She doesn't know what she's doing there. Well, she does know what she's doing there, but she's beginning to wonder if her sanity should come into question. Anxiety builds inside her progressively, like lingering drops slowly filling up a bucket of water. Eventually it will overflow, but for the moment being, it is relatively shallow.

Edward Nygma's helpful suggestion did not go unheard to Evangeline Winter. In fact, after he left, she chastised herself for not even thinking of it herself. Not only is Oswald Cobblepot's Iceberg Lounge the number one place for the higher mass of the criminal underworld to take a night off and enjoy themselves, but Cobblepot himself is the most infamous – albeit expensive – black markets dealer in Gotham.

It's the nineteenth day since the deaths of Sean O'Reilly and Alexandra Markovic, and just that morning after the Riddler had long left her modest apartment, had the devastating news broke out. There had been a chaotic shooting between Maroni and Markovic men last night, whilst she was chatting up the certifiably insane criminal. Sixteen mob men dead, eight civilians dead, twelve cops dead, and several more of each severely injured. This is exactly what Eve has been striving to avoid, and to know that she was quite possibly enjoying herself as she conversed with one of Arkham's more colourful characters as this happened made her feel indubitably nauseous. She doesn't have anything against the egregious Riddler, especially now that he may have bestowed her with a new lead, but knowing she could have possibly prevented so much death beforehand instilled a newfound shame within her.

The Joker had struck last night as well. She expected he was going to turn up sooner than later, with the mob war stealing his limelight and all. Yet he's been uncharacteristically tame for a while now, and that concerns the North Carolinian. Eve hardly has the time to focus on the Clown Prince of Crime however, particularly now with all that is transpiring with the families.

The idea that this could still conceivably be a trap has not fled from Eve's mind. Even as she adjusts the white, halter neck cocktail dress with the long keyhole in the middle of her chest, and comes in tightly at the bodice but remains flowy from the waist down to the middle of her thigh, she mulls over the prospect. He could be trying to gain my trust. Trick me. The unforgiving, nippy night air slaps at her partially bare back. He has more to gain out of helping someone like Two Face and receiving a favour in return than helping me free of charge. Then again, it wasn't entirely free of charge Eve has to remind herself. She had to show him everything she had so far gathered in order for the suggestion.

Her equally white strappy pumps click clack click clack against the harsh concrete ground as the bouncer finally permits her entry. She had to call a favour in from one of her old clients to even get into this place at such short notice.

Eve knew she had to look nice, and even with the classy white dress, spotless heels, some stunning silver jewellery to match (her ring being the only real silver and diamond) and her freshly curled, short raven hair with the right half braided, she feels rather out of place amongst so much wealth, gold and designer clothes. A poser amongst queens and kings.

This isn't true, obviously. And her inadequacy is short lived, for others' opinions have never really bothered her much before. Everyone is a tad self-conscious from time to time though.

One thing that she does seem to have down packed more than most of the others in this room is elegance. Each step – no, each glide her long legs take are flawless and effortless. A natural, slight sway of her hips accompany her stride. That is something she is proud of. She may not have the largest breasts or the curviest body, but her slightly toned build paired with a nicely shaped behind has always given her a subtle, alluring sway. Something she doesn't usually pay mind to, but may pay off in an establishment such as this.