1:02am

Solitaire

1:02am

My feet, covered with their tennis shoes, slap hard against the shiny, linolem floor. Damien's gripping hard onto my left hand, he a few inches in the lead. We run down the hall, past the windows, past some offices and past the hallway with other inmates. I wish I could shut my ears but I heard them screaming at us.

And if you've never been to or lived in an asylum...

Well, I guess you'll never know what it's like to hear them.

I think it'd be better if you've lived in one for like, a year or so. Then you'll get what I mean.

When I first got here, honestly, I was excited. Not cos Damien was here with me but because I had survived the Lockdown. And there was nothing that could stop me. And all the people here (ahem, the inmates) seemed nice and cool...

They were not.

First day I came in... I was literally a goner.

I won't delve in deeper now, since I'm running down the hallway with Damien, but let's just say the next day I totally changed. Like, really, changed over night as that weird saying goes.

Anyway, I'll tell you a little bit more about that later.

My thoughts wander over to what Nate said about Kurt. Was Nate Kurt's brother? Could it be? Or was he just... Spewing random crap at me to make me mad or something?

Let me rewind. In the Lockdown, I got shot in the shoulder when I was trying to peek out through some windows after I woke up in the library full of bodies (please, don't ask. It was so horrible to see I can't even sleep at night - and that's not a nightmare, since I don't dream. It's a flashback). I was clipped real bad, and so bad I actually imagined my best friend (well...) Nickson Miles, was alive and helping me. Really it was just Kurt Larson and later told me I was delusional and all.

I really, actually thought Kurt was crazy but really he was helping me. He saved my life. He called me the "innocent bystander" and said if I was close enough to him, he could feel the innocence (see? Crazy). 

I guess I sorta took him for granted, cos we were hiding in a classroom and Kurt saw the words "YOU LOSE" on the whiteboard when Damien shot through the door and hit him. Later, we were scuffling in the hall and Damien shot Kurt. In the head.

If you think that's bad, you're wrong. A LOT of things happened in the Lockdown, let alone when I, yep, moi, killed someone. If you missed out on that then talk to me later, but for now...

"Where are we going?" I pant as Damien and I fly down the hall. The pounding of our footsteps are so loud it's like we're elephants.

Damien doesn't answer me. He doesn't even look at me. His handsome face just stares forward at the hall, which is getting longer and longer. Or it looks like it.

"Damien!" I yell.

He whips his head towards me, his white bleach blonde hair sailing. "Don't ask any questions! Follow my lead!" he commands. I nod. 

We barely had just passed the rest of the inmates when the alarm turned on.