Chapter Thirty

"You appear upset for some reason," Quatesh said as he snapped his neck back in place and massaged his throbbing jaw

"You appear upset for some reason," Quatesh said as he snapped his neck back in place and massaged his throbbing jaw. This much should be expected from the sun god, he thought as he spat a glob of black blood.

"Upset? Do not test me." Ra's eyes blazed with barely restrained violence.

Holding his hands at his back, Quatesh's feet touched the ground a few feet away from the seething god. "Test you? Why would anyone do that?"

Ra's jaw muscles twitched as if in warning. But Quatesh was not satisfied. Ra wasn't where he wanted him to be. He needed him to snap—to lose control and come at him with everything he had.

"Is it true what I heard?"

"Is what true?" Quatesh asked innocently as he blinked at Ra with a tired look on his face.

"You know what I speak of." Ra huffed and clenched his enormous fists—fists that were beginning to increase in size including the rest of his body.

Paying no heed to Ra's anger, Quatesh laughed.

"Please," Quatesh said, stretching the word. "Regale me. Tell me this story you heard."

"Now you joke?" Ra bit out as he took a threatening step forward. "You think I have the patience for your stupid mind games?"

"Yes." Quatesh nodded eagerly. "I think so." If his smile widens by an extra inch, his face may split in half.

"You!" Ra glared as fat veins bulged across his neck and temples. "I would seal you so long in the pits, it would be centuries before the earth sees your face."

"I'll love to see you try." Quatesh winked at the livid god.

Ra's clenched fists trembled as blood dripped from it to the ground.

"Come on, master. Don't tell me you're hesitant to fight a lesser god," Quatesh said with a sigh. "I shouldn't b—"

A large hand snatched him by the face and squeezed. Roaring, Ra slammed Quatesh to the ground. "SHUT UP."

Quatesh grinned, ignoring the pain of Ra's claws tearing the skin on his face.

When the sun god flung him skyward, Quatesh spread his arms and cackled.

"You dare mock me?" Ra roared as he shot after him.

When Ra's fist slammed into his midsection, Quatesh wheezed. That felt more painful than he anticipated. As his body rushed to the ground, Ra remained above him, black wings spread and the sun against his back.

He did look a bit threatening, Quatesh thought with a pained sigh.

Before his body hit the earth, Quatesh righted himself and gently landed on his feet. The desert wind still blew fiercely, and Quatesh sensed a sandstorm coming.