11.

"You did what?!"

Erica sat across from me at a local coffee. I'd told her how Michelle walked out on me after I told her I loved her this morning. I honestly don't know what to feel embarrassment or relief. Saying those things to her was way too soon but I can't deny how I feel. But I'm kind of relieved that she didn't reciprocate those feelings because I'm not sure if I'm ready to be in a relationship again. Especially with what happened during the last one.

"Dude, I don't know whether to slap you or hug you. It's way too soon! You've only known each other for barely a month. She must have some dynamite in that pussy, cause... oh, you poor soul."

"You aren't helping. You can't choose when or how fast you fall in love it just happens."

"You know what this reminds me of? Aya and when you first told her you loved her. Just like right now it was way too soon. You fall pretty fast, my dude."

"Or I just know what I want."

"Like with Riley?"

"Obviously that was a momentary lapse of judgment. And I wanted nothing serious with her I was just hurting. This is different. Michelle feels different. But I feel like I'm betraying Aya. Is it way too soon?"

"Next month will make five years since she's been gone but it feels like an eternity and I could only imagine what it feels like to you. Y'all were one soul. You guys made me believe in love. True love like that only comes around once in a lifetime and if you think you've found it again who am I to stop you? Go for it, dude."

"Are you giving me your blessing?"

"Don't get mushy," she said looking at her watch. "I've got to go. Tell my baby girl I'll be over tomorrow night to help plan her outfit for the big tea party."

"Outfits. Apparently, she's doing multiple wardrobe changes."

"That girl is so her mother's child. See ya," she kissed my cheek before leaving.

~~~~~

I'm sitting in my home office going through emails (because what else do I have to do on a Sunday?) when my phone chimes with a message.

Let me take you on a date.

It was Michelle.

You want to take me on a date? What happened to you won't date me because I'm your boss?

Forget what I said. I decided it doesn't matter anymore.

What god do I have to think for this?

Shut up. So that date?

Okay, but I gotta warn you I'm expensive.

Lol, come outside.

"You just knew you were going to get lucky." I closed my front door behind me. Michelle stood leaning against her car. "What changed your mind?"

"Curiosity." She moved from her car to stand in front of me. "A man confesses his love for you, even if it's too soon, you become curious. You want to know why and if it's true."

I wrapped my arms around her waist. "It's true. Falling in love fast is my specialty and you made it easy."

"I won't say it back, there's a chance I'll never say it and you have to be okay with that to give us a chance."

"Well, I already put my heart out there so I guess I have to be."

"How do you have the courage to give your heart away so easily?" she asked, placing her hand on my chest.

"I don't. I'm scared as fuck. The last woman I loved died on me and it broke my heart. The only reason I'm standing here today is that I had a responsibility to my daughter. She deserved to have me present and not the shell of a person I was. I had to pull myself together real quick for her sake. I'm terrified of loving again. I don't want to experience the pain of heartache again."

"I'll try my best not to break your heart."

I chuckle. "And that's really all I ask."

"Hmm. So that date?"

"I don't have a sitter for Hope. Rosy's off on weekends and Erica is busy."

"She has two nannies?"

"No. Erica is an old friend. She helped a lot with Hope when Aya died. They were best friends."

"Okay. So she comes too. We have to get to know each other eventually. I'll take you guys to dinner."

~~~~~

Riley groans watching Michelle in Darryl's arms. She sits in her car a few houses down from Darryl's. She's been watching them from afar since their sushi lunch date. She's been following Darryl's tail for weeks now. She followed them both from the party and waited until morning when she saw Michelle running out. She keeps waiting for the moment he pushes her away but he never does. He keeps chasing her and Michelle seems to love the attention.

Her hand hits the stirring wheel with force. How could he just discard her as he did?

"He said he loved me," she whispered to the empty air. "He said he would love us... He's going to wish he had never hurt me. I swear."