Chapter Twenty One: Civil War - The Battle

Steve, Zosia and McKenzie strode through an underpass towards a private runway, heading for a grounded helicopter. Something slammed into the chopper, and they looked up to see Iron Man and War Machine descend.

"Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport," Tony remarked sarcastically. "Don't you think that's weird?"

"Definitely weird," Rhodey agreed.

"Hear me out, Tony," Steve pleaded. "That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this."

T'Challa leapt over a truck to face them. "Captain. Mrs Rogers. Mrs Di Angelo."

"Your highness," McKenzie nodded.

"Anyways, Ross gave me thirty-six hours to bring you guys in. That was twenty-four hours ago. Can you help a brother out?" Tony requested.

"You're after the wrong guy," Zosia told him, clenching her fist. For now, she was in humanoid form, but she was ready to change at any second.

"Your judgement is askew. Your husband's old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday," Tony reminded her.

"And there are five more super soldiers just like him," Steve stressed. "I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony, I can't."

The Doctor and Natasha stepped out from behind a truck. "Kenzie... you know what's about to happen," Natasha said. "Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?"

"I'm not sure we have a choice," McKenzie replied. Though her voice was cutting, it was clear her anger was directed mainly at Tony.

Tony sighed. "All right, I've run out of patience. Underoos!" Peter shot a web at them, stealing Steve's shield and binding his hands together. "Nice job, kid."

"Thanks," Peter grinned. "Well, I could've stuck the landing a little better. It's just the new suit... Well, it's nothing, Mr Stark. It's, it's perfect. Thank you."

"Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation," Tony told him.

"Okay. Cap... Captain. Big fan, I'm Spider-Man."

"Yeah, we'll talk about it later. Just..." Tony rolled his eyes.

"Hey, everyone."

"...good job."

"You've been busy," Zosia noticed.

"And you've been complete idiots," Tony shot back. "Dragging in Clint. Rescuing the Maximoffs from a place they didn't even want to leave, a safe place. I'm trying to keep...I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart."

"You did that when you signed," Steve told him.

"All right, we're done," Tony decided. "You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us, now! Because it's us or a squad of J-SOC guys with no compunction about being impolite." Steve looked away. "Come on."

The trio's earpieces crackled. "We found it," Sam announced. "Their Quinjet's in hangar five, north runway."

Steve held his hands up, and an arrow sliced through the web, freeing him. "All right, Lang."

"Hey, guys, something..." Peter warned as a tiny figure ran down McKenzie's right wing to the ground, sprinting towards him before turning back to normal size, tackling the kid and stealing Steve's shield.

"Whoa," Rhodey exclaimed. "What, what the hell was that?"

"I believe this is yours, Captain America," Scott said, handing the shield back. Steve nodded, and the four of them sprinted away.