Chapter Twenty Three: Civil War - Siberia

Steve brought the Quinjet in to land near the facility containing the Winter Soldiers and, judging by the caterpillar truck nearby, Zemo. On board, Bucky opened up Natasha's weapon store and selected a light machine gun. Behind him, McKenzie tied off the bandages she'd wrapped around her chest and back, downing a few painkillers. Her armour formed over her body, but she left JENSEN on her seat in the jet. Together, the three of them walked down the ramp into the icy wilderness.

"You remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?" Steve asked, nudging his friend.

Bucky frowned. "Was that the time we used our train money to buy hot dogs?"

Steve nodded, grinning. "You blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for a redhead."

Bucky smiled, remembering. "What was her name again?"

"Dolores," Steve told him. "You called her Dot."

"She's gotta be a hundred years old right now," Bucky realised.

"So are we, pal," Steve reminded him, clapping him on the shoulder.

On their left, McKenzie snorted. "You boys are so young."

Steve chuckled, putting on his helmet as they reached the entrance to the facility. He sobered quickly. The door was still open. "He can't have been here more than a few hours."

"Long enough to wake them up," Bucky pointed out grimly.

McKenzie led the way in, on the basis that she was both the oldest and the fastest, taking them through into an elevator that brought them to the bottom level of the bunker. As they stepped out into the corridor, Bucky readied his machine gun. The three of them kept a decent pace, looking in on each room and alcove without staying anywhere too long. At the end of the short corridor was a set of stairs, and the trio were halfway up them when they heard a loud thud from behind the double doors at the other end. They span around and crouched, instantly alert.

"You ready?" Steve asked in a whisper.

"Yeah," Bucky muttered.

Between them, McKenzie shifted so she could see over Steve's shoulder, ready to shoot if needs be. Slowly, the double doors parted, forced open by two very familiar metal gauntleted hands.

McKenzie blinked. "Tony?"

He opened the doors enough to slip through and did so, retracting his helmet so they could see his face. "You seem a little defensive," he commented.

Bucky kept his gun up and aimed while Steve and McKenzie met Tony halfway, Steve's shield still up, McKenzie still in her armour. Steve shrugged. "It's been a long day."

"Anyway, aren't you supposed to have a broken back?" Tony asked, nodding to McKenzie.

She stared at him. "Look at me and tell me you don't see something missing." His eyes widened slightly and she nodded. "I'd offer you painkillers for your face but I think I took them all."

Tony held up a hand to Bucky. "At ease, soldier. I'm not currently after you."

"Then why are you here?" Steve questioned.

"Could be your story's not so crazy," Tony shrugged. "Maybe. Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself."

"That sounds like a lot of paperwork," Steve mentioned, but he lowered his shield, smiling slightly.

"It's good to see you, Tony," McKenzie smiled, letting her armour drop to hug him.