Chapter 12

“Teachers, pardon the interruption, but please let the softball players out to go the bus. Thank you.”

            I immediately get out of my seat. “You’re going to miss all of the fun work.” I smile at Mr. Copenhaver, my chemistry teacher. “Yeah, keep dreaming Mr. Copenhaver.” I laugh. I go to my locker and grab everything I need for homework and I go downstairs to the girl’s locker room to change. I walk in and I’m the only one in here. I start changing quickly. I like to get the one seater in the back of the bus. Some of the softball equipment goes in the aisle between the seats in the back, but I don’t mind. I rest my feet on them. I hear a couple of girl’s walk in the locker room and I finish putting on my softball shorts.

            “Hey Addie.” A couple of the girls say. I smile at them. “Hey.” I walk over to the mirror and tie my hair up in a bun. Danielle walks in and ignores me. We kind of had a fight this morning. Danielle like’s to hold grudges sometimes, but she has good reasons. I watch her from behind. One of the girl’s notices me staring and I turn my attention back to the mirror. Almost everyone knows that Danielle and I are dating. It’s a huge school, so it’s not like anyone really cares.

            I grab my duffle bag and book bag and head out to the bus. I get on the bus and throw my bag all the way to the back as I walk towards the back.

            “Hey!” I cringe to the bus driver yelling. I turn around and look at him. “Don’t throw stuff on here, please.” He says in a nicer tone. “I’m sorry sir.” I apologize and continue to walk to the back of the bus. I sit down in my seat pulling out my iPod Touch and I listen to my music.

            I feel the bus moving so I look up to see who’s coming on the bus and it’s Danielle carrying some of the equipment. She sets it down in the back where I am and looks at me angrily. She motions for me to pull my ear-phones out so I do.

            “You could help carry the equipment, you ass.” She rolls her eyes and walks off the bus.

            Damn, I love my girlfriend, but she can be really mean to me. I get up and get off the bus so I don’t make her madder than she already is. Once I get to the equipment room I notice she’s the only one in it and she throws a bag at me. I catch it quickly, but stumble a little, because she surprised me. “How long are you going to be mad at me for?” I ask. She looks behind her and stares at me. “Am I supposed to have a time limit of how long I can be mad?” She puts her hands on her hips.

            “No. It was the first time I fell asleep on you.”

            “I don’t care.” She turns back around and grabs the rest of the bags. “I was worried about you all night that I didn’t even get any sleep.” She brushes past me making me almost stumble over again. I sigh and follow her back to the bus.

            I set the equipment down in the middle since baseball is riding on this bus too. I jump over the equipment bags in the back to my seat. Danielle is sitting across from me. I lean over a little and she looks at me. “I’m sorry I fell asleep on you.” I apologize sincerely.

            “I was talking to you about something important too.”

            “If you were so worried, my house is 3 houses from yours, or you could have called me.” I pause trying to remember if she did call me.

            “I called you 20 times!” She raises her voice. She stares at me not blinking and I lean back in my chair. “I’m sorry.” I apologize again. She rolls her eyes and looks out the window. I put my ear-phones in my ears and listen to my music again. Everyone got on the bus soon after that and we left to go play a game. The place we’re going is about 2 hours away so we had to leave during 6th period.