Part 53

Marina pushed the kitchen door open, and waved the bouquets at the two women in the room. Both Cara and Isabelle turned to look at Marina, half expecting her to have Rafe in tow. Grinning Marina said, "Nan's got him!"

Isabelle smirked. She knew exactly what that meant. Their grandmother had been far from subtle into the lead up to this evening, explaining that she fully intended to ask Rafe rather personal questions. "Poor man. I nearly feel sorry for him!"

Marina giggled. "Apparently this one is for you!" She told Cara as she held one arm out to show Cara the large bunch of chrysanthemums. "I'll put them in some water, ok?"

"That was very kind of him." Cara said as she appreciated the array of chrysanthemums. "Might need several vases!" She smiled in delight. "How thoughtful. And kind."

Marina smirked. "This other bunch is for Nan! Though I think he might be regretting buying her anything!" Marina's eyes twinkled in memory of his expression a few moments ago. He did look a touch bemused when her grandmother led him away. Bet he had expected her to be some quiet passive docile woman. No such thing in the Sojour D'Sa household!

"Ah hah!" Isabelle gave the soup one last stir, "She's already started?"

"Oh yes. The poor man was barely through the front door when she asked him what his intentions were!" Marina couldn't help chuckling. It was rare to see Rafe at a loss. But Nan had clearly surprised him.

Isabelle grinned. "Well, at least she hasn't told him that you told us you were marrying him! Or that you had decided on that many, many years ago!"

Isabelle's reminder had Marina frowning instantly in consternation. She hadn't thought about her grandmother taking that line. "Oh she wouldn't tell him that, would she? Maybe she doesn't remember me ever saying that." Chance would be a fine thing. Her grandmother was sprightly and had a memory that defied belief.

Isabelle laughed heartily. "Wouldn't she?" She shook her head. "You know she's been going on and on about how none of us, despite being at a ripe old age, are married or giving her great grandchildren!"

"Yes, and we've always pointed out that was a tad risky, unless we wanted other people to know about our financial situation." That was their best shot and shutting down any conversation their grandmother initiated about their single status.

"Nan thinks we are over that hurdle." Isabelle said with a touch of concern, her grandmother had a tendency to be blunt about personal matters. Maybe Marina like Rafe should be worried about being left with Nan! "Only this morning Nan was asking me what I thought of Rafe. Whether I approved!"

Marina frowned and pursed her lips. She did not want her family to scare the man off! In a sudden hurry Marina put the flowers on the table, deciding that either Isabelle or Cara could see to them. "Sorry Cara, you're going to have to sort out the flowers!" She smiled apologetically. "I'm not leaving Nan with him alone for a moment longer. She just might go and railroad him into proposing."

"You want him to propose, don't you?" Isabelle pointed out with a grin.

"Yes, but not because Nan has made him!" Marina grumbled. "In any case we are kind of starting from scratch. No secrets. This is our first week in our new phase! So no-one should be rushing him into proposing!" Marina headed for the door having reached the conclusion that smirking at Rafe's predicament earlier might have been the wrong thing to do. Looked like she was probably going to be the one facing difficult repercussions! "Our previous phase was just a couple of months!" Marina grumbled loudly as she reached for the door. "Men do not propose after a couple of months!"

"Rina!" Isabelle's voice stopped Marina from exiting, "First, this might be the first week in your new phase, but you've loved that man for years. Neither phase 1 or phase 2 have changed that!"

"I know." Marina's head bobbed up and down in acknowledgment.

"And second, men in love propose at any time!"

"But that's the question. Is he in love, with me?" Marina did not wait for her sister to reply, she pushed the door open and left the kitchen. The question was did he love her? That's the question that had taken up residence in her head.

It was aquestion her heart did not ask, for as far as her heart was concerned he lovedher! The trouble was, that he had not said the words. Not in the two monthsthey had gone out before the big reveal and not in the time since she had toldhim about the family's big secret. But then, shesighed, it wasn't as if she had told himhow she felt about him either.  Maybe she should say something. Just give him a hintabout how she felt. She shook her head. Surely he knew! And it might just bebest to wait for him to tell her how he felt first!