six | The Unraveling-Part 2

"It'll make you feel good, I promise. I'll show you how."

❀Friday, LunchI sat at a picnic table in The Garden with Shannon, Adam, and Eric

Friday, Lunch
I sat at a picnic table in The Garden with Shannon, Adam, and Eric. Shannon was excited to tell us about her plans for the party tonight.

"I'm sorry Shan, but I can't make it tonight. I already have plans somewhere else." I said, regretfully. Even though Shannon was one of my best friends, it wouldn't be fair to cancel my party plans with Cara and Amber. I was invited there first, after all.

"Going somewhere with your family?" Adam questioned.

"Yeah, something like that," I responded, avoiding any eye contact. I didn't have the heart to lie to them, especially since Eric's outburst at my house last night.

Friday Evening
I hadn't been to Amber's house before, so she had to text me the address. My sister went back to grad school with her car, so that left me to walk almost two miles in the cold. I didn't mind, though. My dad was at some meeting and my mom was probably out with friends.

As I walked up the steps, I could hear the music pulsing from the inside. It was a small house, much smaller than mine, and almost trailer-sized. It was in a more ghetto part of town as well, but not quite as bad as Summer Meadows.

I reached up to ring the doorbell, when the door swung open. "Don't bother trying that. The doorbell hasn't worked for years," Amber grinned at me. She was wearing a baby blue t-shirt dress with fishnet leggings, and a blue butterfly clip in her hair; something I would've worn when I was eight.

Cara stood beside her in a gold mini-dress and a white fur sheath draped around her shoulders. She leaned over the threshold, "don't tell anyone I stole the dress," she whispered into my ear.

"Your house is nice. Thanks for inviting me." I turned and smiled at Amber.

"No prob! Now come in and enjoy the party!" She pulled my arm, yanking me inside. Cara went off towards a guy I presumed was her boyfriend. Strobe lights came from corners of the room, along with a disco ball in the center of the living area. There must've been thirty, maybe forty people cramped into this small space, and most faces were ones I didn't recognize.

"Where are your parents?" I asked, as she led me through one hallway, still on the first (and only) floor, to what looked like her room.

"My dad never comes around. My mom left us when I was six," She responded, then brushing it off. "You can put your stuff over here. It's not like anyone will come in here anyways. Unless they want privacy." She laughed and wiggled her eyebrows. I joined along with her.