twenty four | I Will Survive

"It's not over, Lana. Don't give up on me yet."

❀30 minutes laterI sat in my hospital room, overcome with worry

30 minutes later
I sat in my hospital room, overcome with worry. Carson was refilling my IV beside me, and he had just informed me that James' surgery was in progress.

They didn't have much hope.

"I would give anything to see him, just one more time. Anything." I sighed to Carson.

"How about we strike a deal, Svetlana? I'll take you to the watchroom for James' surgery if, when you're released, you take me to a school dance." Carson proposed.

"You would really do that for me?"

"Of course. I'll bring in a wheelchair, and we can roll your IV bags along with you. Just wait one sec."

"What if someone catches us?"

"Don't worry about that, Svetlana. I can take care of it."

"It's Lana, and thank you so much. You have no idea how much this means to me."

-

Fifteen minutes later, and I was sitting in a wheelchair behind a one-sided window, watching the doctors operate on James. I couldn't exactly tell what they were doing, but it looked pretty intense.

"Carson, do you know what the doctors are doing to James, exactly? I know it's something for his heart, but they didn't really give me a surgical guide."

"Well, they've been holding onto his faint heartbeat since he came in, close to death. They're trying to get it to a normal speed to be able to wake him up. But from what I've heard, that's going to be pretty hard," he said, not talking his eyes off the surgery.

"So?"

"So, they're testing all the nerves around his heart to try and produce a stronger heartbeat, or any kind of reaction, for that matter."

I rolled the wheelchair closer to the window, so my nose was touching the cool glass. James, my close friend since birth, had placed his life in the hands of these surgeons and doctors, and as I watched them operate, I realized how fragile life really was.

One screw-up, and things could go very wrong.

I continued to watch until, a few minutes later, the machine with his heart rate beeped wildly. His already low heartbeat was dropping fast, and all I could do was watch.