Maybe maybe not

Shadow tugs at my sleeve to get me downstairs. A part of me wants to back away and hide in a corner. The other part is already downstairs making a fool of herself trying to be cool in front of Sans.

Sans is dressed up. Kinda. He has on a dark blue long sleeve shirt with no logo or anything and jeans. Are those... sneakers? I resist the urge to change my frisk shirt and black leggings along with my hideous tutu and laced ballet shoes.

He bows slightly and my heart (soul?) gives a jump. Everyone in the room is chanting to themselves. Either them to keep their cool (Alphys and Undyne, along with Papyrus.) or for me to keep my cool (Shadow Bolt and Flame. And me). Or to just make sure it all goes right (Sans).

I take his hand and a sea of thoughts and emotions runs from him to my brain. Shadow taps my fingers on my other hand, letting me know she's excited times eight and about a million other things.  I put my hands on his shoulders and his bony fingers rest above my tutu. Excitement and nervousness runs through me as we begin to twirl with the slowish music. Someone, maybe Bolt, was liking that Alphys and Undyne were checking each other out, kinda talking, kinda dancing. Shadow was hamming it up with Paps and Flame was absolutely the best DJ ever. He even dressed up. Like he was off Black Butler or something.

-So- Sans thought. -did you know about this? Since your a mind reader and all.-

"No." I said aloud. "It's easier to read direct thoughts if I come in contact. They said they were covered in poison so I wouldn't touch them. I knew they were lying, I just didn't know about which part, so I kept my distance. I guess this is to make up for all the surprise birthday parties I ruined." He laughs. We twirl a little longer.

"Can you really tell our birthdays?" he asks with a skeletal grin.

"Yeah." I say. "I automatically get how old someone is down to the day, but not the minute or hour. Then I just, y'know, math it up." he stares a bit, I can tell he wants to ask how old he is. "York seventeen and seven months, twenty-two days." he then thinks about asking how old us humans are. "Shadow and Flame are five months two, days older than me, and I'm fourteen, five months, eight days. Bolt is exactly two years and a month younger than me."

He doesn't seem to be listening, but he's keeping up with his footing and listening along with scanning the area. Sans is good at what he does. Then, out of nowhere,

"Can you tell if someone is going to die?"

This takes me aback. "No." I say "Bolt might. He's the future boy. He could tell if anyone was going to croak." As if on cue he filters through the room, saving people from spilling their drinks and future shattered or broken items. I'm tempted to ask why Sans would ask that. I hear Flame going for a more upbeat song and Shadow goes crazy with Papyrus and they run around 'dancing'. Huh. I ship it. Do you?

Despite the change in music we continue to spin. Sans looks into my eyes and I stare back until he looks away. I swear he blushes a light blue but I can't tell over the heat to my ears.

"um...." I say quietly. Sans sorta laughs. Some emotion runs through one of us. I feel a lot of bravery trying to break to the surface of Sans. I chant for him to make a move.

"Why did the skeleton drop out of school?" he blurts. Smooth.

"Why?"

"Because he's a numbskull." I laugh. He grows quiet.

"Why- why'd the skeleton think himself a numbskull?" I drew a blank. "Why?" I ask.

"Because he was too afraid to tell the girl that he likes her." There's the sugar. I laugh.

"He should." I say. "The girl likes the skeleton." he gets a goofy grin stuck on his face and blushes a bright blue. I'm sure my grin is just as goofy. I think about this.

"Sans..." I say, but I'm not sure why. I... can't remember my own name. "Beam..." barely escapes his mouth. I put my lips on his bony cheek.

"I'd kiss you." he says "but I have no lips" I smile against his cheek bone.

We dance slowly through all the songs, not really saying much, just being because, hey, I'm in love with a skeleton I've known for almost two months. A skeleton! I'm a human. I can't even kiss him. But...

"We can't stay much longer." Bolt says after the party.

"Yeah." Shadow says from her place on the couch. "I'm all up for adventure and fun but, we really have to leave." I freeze. "NO!!" I almost yell. "I!" they're looking at me "l..." say it, say it, say it. "I'm staying here with Sans and Papyrus."

Flame, Shadow, and Bolt all stare at me. Papyrus, who had just walked in, stared at me. Bolt gets up and leaves the house. Shadow brushes past Papyrus , heading for the kitchen. Flame looks at me with love, years and years of living together catching up to us. He follows Shadow.

Papyrus gives me sad eye sockets. "You..." he starts quietly. Them he progresses.

"YOU MAKE MY BROTHER HAPPY, BUT YOU MAKE YOUR FRIENDS HAPPY AS WELL. YOU ARE A HUMAN. YOU HAVE TO BE WITH HUMANS. I LOVE TO SEE MY BROTHER HAPPILY FLITT THROUGH THE KITCHEN, BUT IF YOU STAY HERE... WE WILL HAVE TO TAKE YOUR SOUL. YOU MUST GO."

I shake my head. Papyrus leaves too.