Chapter Four

I was sitting on the table surrounded by paperwork of the most recent disappearance of a mascot. I wasn't really listening to Jenkins lecture about what not to do while on campus.

"Do not eat anything while on campus. Do not repeat anything three times. And absolutely do not make eye contact with the gargoyles." Jenkins finishes and eyes Ezekiel suspiciously.

"This is all the magic monitoring equipment I could find. Not only are the library rooms moving around, so is our stuff. Seems a bit much for a missing mascot." Eve says walking in and setting the box of supplies on the table.

"You can never be too careful with Wexler University." Jenkins says. "Founded by Josiah Wexler."

"The occultist?" I ask shocked at this new information. When I was looking back into my history I saw his name pop up and I read all about how everyone thought he was a madman.

"Yes and has anyone found the occult section of the library yet?" He asks. Jacob walks in with the books talking about the spiders while brushing off cobwebs.

"Josiah Wexler, founded Wexler University in 1813 in eastern Massachusetts. While professing to be a small liberal arts college, he used the university to secretly collect arcane artifacts, research unspeakable oaths, hold strange and perverse rituals." I recite and Eve cuts me off.

"Strange and perverse rituals?" She asks. I nod my head and they all talk while I continue to just listen nonchalantly.

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!" I hear Cassandra squeal as she pops up beside me. "I've been studying the theoretical math behind extradimensional spaces, so a black void would actually be super-interesting! To me..."

"Jenkins, we've done this before. Weird school aside, this is a missing-person investigation. How far could a guy in an otter costume possibly have gotten?" Eve says and we head out.

*~*

"Appareat! Diabolus! Ignis!" The cheerleaders chant and both Cassandra and I gasp.

"W-what?!" We both shriek at the cheerleaders. Cassandra then talks to them about it but my head was still wrapped around the fact that a school motto would be such a terrible idea.

We all leave the cheerleaders to go meet the boys. Walking across campus we talk about what our next move is to be.

"I wouldn't be so sure." Cassandra says then points to the building next to us. "Look at the emblems on those corner braces. Intersecting circles of magic and summoning."

"That's 18th century occult spiritualism," I say and they all look at me weirdly, because Cassandra was supposed to know all about the witchy woo. "While we were separated I decided to learn more about the magic side of all this. I mean I'm a librarian too."

In the end Ezekiel and Cassandra went to check out the frat house while Eve, Jacob and I all went to meet this professor.

"All right, there he is. Okay, now, listen. Professor Bancroft's analysis is radically aggressive. Okay, he's... he's a brutal academic." Jacob says as we walk down to the front of the room where this professor was. Jacob then walks up to him and really goes all fanboy on this professor.

But when we mention the frat house and the occult history behind it all, the professor just visibly shows his disappointment of us.

"Listen, I hate to burst your bubble of delusion, but magic does not exist. It doesn't exist in architecture, it certainly does not exist here. There is no such thing as magic." The professor basically shouts at us.

Jacob picks a fight with the man while Eve and I go sit in the back of the room listening, watching. I lean over to her and whisper to her.

"You know I could just blow this professor's head right off with a snap of my fingers." She gives me a look. "I might have been practicing a few spells here and there. And I just happens to like the one where I can blow things up."