Chapter Ten

"Librarians, talk to me! What's happening?" Flynn shouts.

"No response on any military signal protocol. These are secure links through buried cables of hardened cell towers. It's supposed to work during a nuclear war." I hear Eve say then Ezekiel and I walk forward and lean over the boundary from upstairs.

"No Internet. You can push the signals through the physical pipes, but the nodes aren't responding." Ezekiel explains then I chime in.

"The Internet is gone. Welcome to 1995." We walk back into the bookshelves.

We walk downstairs and Jenkins tells walks in and tells us that Flynn, Eve and Cassandra all went to find a time machine.

"We have a time machine?" Ezekiel asks dumbstruck.

"No he said 'a time machine' that means we have probably a whole room of time machines!" I squeal and Jenkins just shakes his head.

"Okay!" Flynn announces walking in with a glass globe thing. He starts to explain the whole situation and Jenkins makes a few comments on his mid life crisis in the Elizabethan age.

"Or in 1611, we just stop Prospero from ever..." Eve says but Flynn cuts her off.

"No, no, no, no, 'cause then, we wouldn't have to go back and then we wouldn't have stopped Prospero. Then we wouldn't have to go back and then we wouldn't have stopped Prospero. Then we'd have to go back and we wouldn't stop Prospero." Flynn goes on and on annoying all of us. "The good news is that no matter how much time we spend in the past, we return to this very moment. From your perspective, we're gone no time at all. 5-second drift, maybe. We'll be back 5 seconds, tops."

"What if you don't make it back?" Jacob asks stepping forward.

"That's why you're staying." Eve says. " If we don't come back, you have to stop Prospero somehow. I have faith in you. You've trained for this."

They both put their hands on the rod and it starts to glow a bright blue. Then they leave and we all take a step back from the rod combusting into hundreds of pieces.

"How will they get back?" I ask shocked at the turn of events. Jenkins starts talking and Jacob counts. He hits five and him and I step back disappointed.

"Each time machine carves its own path through time. You must use the same machine to return. Wh... The sphere... it's... destroyed. They're never, ever coming back." Jenkins explains and we all look around pitifully.

*~*

While they were all talking about how one could supposedly beat Prospero.

"Prospero's been around 500 years. We would need an incredibly powerful personal link." Jenkins mutters.

"We have a clue... the note. The one hint Flynn sent himself from the future. I mean, there's no way that it just has one meaning, right?" I say stand up from my spot on the stairs.

"It's just parchment," Jacob says. "Also with linen weave. It's royal quality. Look at that. It's a crest, watermark." I walk over to the bookshelves and search through the books and Jacob comes to help. After finding one I hand it to him and he flips through it finding the watermark.

"All right. The Count and Countess Pembroke." I say reading it over his shoulder.

"Pembroke." Jacob repeats. "Why does that name sound familiar to me?"

"Mary Sidney." Jenkins says then we all figure it out.

"Wilton House!" I exclaim excited.

"Fire up the back door. We just got our first clue." Jacob says closing the book.