Chapter Five

"Cassandra? You there?" Baird asks through the communication chip we're working on. I walk in carrying the books we needed.

They ask about the stone then Baird complains and I chime in.

"Yeah, it would be great if the Bronze Age Librarians weren't quite so poetic. "The eye of Zarathustra is the key to the door of lost knowledge, the staff summoned by sun and rue."" I recite and Baird understands my point.

We hear them mumble through the intercom and then Jenkins walks in.

"Not crystal, glass." He says listening in.

"You're back," I say astonished.

"Yes, from the thrilling adventure that was the Library's secondary subbasement. The Xenobia wing is down there, which is extremely odd considering that for the past five centuries, the Xenobia wing has been in the attic." He shouts the last part making Cassandra confused while I look through the books to figure out what I missed about the glass.

"'Cast of endless sands,' sand used to make glass." I sat to them figuring it out.

"The Eye of Zarathustra is a glass globe, making it officially... The 73rd thing to disappear from this Library!" Jenkins says frustrated writing it down.

We continue to listen and find out Flynn was there before we did and now we were eavesdropping on their argument. Then everything starts going wrong and we figure out it was the Flute of Pan making all of them fall asleep.

Suddenly the whole room starts to shake as of an earthquake was happening. We all hold onto each other and try to walk away from everything that was falling but then the chandelier swings so violently it breaks off its chain.

"Look out!" I scream and we all duck under the table.

After the crash everything stops and we look at the damage. Then I spot the door on fire and quickly go get a fire extinguisher. As we try to fix up the place best we can the phone rings and Jenkins answers it.

He opens the back door just a little and then they all start pouring through violently. We jump back letting them through.

"What happened?" Ezekiel asks.

I just shrug my shoulders and hold up the fire extinguisher just as confused. Snoring comes from the pendant communication device and we all walk over to it.

Eve is able to wake up Flynn and we all listen to figure out where he is. It all goes bad when a deep, disoriented voice booms telling Flynn to sit.

"Can we use the pendant to track Flynn?" I ask hopefully.

"There's too much magical interference with the artifacts there." Jenkins says then eve tells us all to be quiet.

"Morse code," she says then finds a chalkboard to start writing.

"It doesn't make sense." I say looking at the numbers she was righting down.

"Wait," Jacob says and listens. "That's a Chinese telegraph code." He then explains how it's more efficient than Morse code because of the pictographic language.

The line goes dead after a minute of Jacob writing it all down explaining as he goes.

"Jenkins, I need the back door open." Eve says. She gives out orders while I go and grab my shoes ready to leave.

"I can key the Back Door to the most powerful source of local magic. I can send you directly there. But if you're gonna go, you've gotta go quickly because it's all tied to the Library, which is currently..." Jenkins trails off when I come back.