Chapter Eight

We all burst through the door ending up in a military laboratory of sorts. Sirens were going off and people were running around everywhere.

"It's critical now! Leave everything! Evacuate out the front gate. Deadlock all the other Doors! I'm initiating Faded Giant protocol." The main lady shouts and everyone runs out.

"Back through the door, now!" Eve says.

"What about the Thaumatite?" I ask.

""Faded Giant" is military code for "this place is gonna blow."" Eve says and we all rush back through the door but find ourselves not in the Annex.

"It's disconnected." I say after opening the door to go through again.

"We have to get out on our own." Ezekiel says.

"Best way out is always through, Robert Frost." Jacob says holding up a crow bar.

"Then let's get the hell through." Eve says and we follow behind her. Walking around a corner we spot a man cowering in a corner.

"I'm Colonel Eve Baird, can you tell us-" the man jumps up roaring like a maniac and attacks at Ezekiel. Eve tried to shoot it but it doesn't work so Jacob steps forward knocking it out with the crowbar.

"That was a rabid, feral, rage person!" Ezekiel says as I help him up.

"A computer overload did that?" Eve says.

"A magical quantum computer. They were running the system, encountered some corrupted code, and it fritzed." Cassandra starts. "Quantum mechanics do play a crucial role in human consciousness. An overload in the quantum field could have created a superposition state that disrupts higher brain function, effectively turning people into..."

"Rage people," Ezekiel chimes in.

"Not calling them rage people." Eve says.

After figuring out how to end all this we make our way through the corridors and find the control panel to get into the main room where the Thaumatite was.

"Oh, it's a basic Glenn-Rieder XCD." Ezekiel says boastfully. "I could open these in my..." the keypad start beeping and tells us that it was an invalid entry code. An alarm goes off.

"Fall back!" Eve shouts and we all run back to where we started. I grab an extra crow bar and hold it up ready to defend myself.

"Here they come!" I shout and the rage people all barge into the room glowing red eyes ready to kill.

I'm able to knock a few out but two of them come at me and I hit one. But the other grabs onto me pushing us to the floor.

"Ezekiel!" I shout and see him standing there mortified about everything that was happening.

My head is slammed into the ground and that's it.

*~*

"It's a time loop!" Ezekiel exclaims.

"What?" I ask confused.

"If we're stuck in a time loop how many fingers am I holding up?" Eve asks putting her hand behind her back.

"I don't know this is only our second time through." Ezekiel explains. We follow him down a hallway reluctantly and he says that the only way to stop it is with the crow bar making all of us confused.

*~*

Apparently Ezekiel says that we've gone through this time loop about 6 times and now we were just standing in front of the keypad that was our way out. Of course I remember nothing, but we've stood here a long time so I think something g must be wrong.