Chapter One

Cari finished the dishes and put them in the drying rack. It was like 3:45 and her mom should be home by 4:30 from work. She plopped down on the couch and let out a loud sigh, "sick of this shit!" Just as she said that Eric, her moms boyfriend walked through the front door.

"Sick of what shit?" He asked her with a load of groceries in his hands.

"Hey Eric, sorry, I was just speaking out loud. Is there more groceries in the car? Ill go get them", Cari said trying to avoid any extra problems

"I got them all baby girl, just close this door behind me", Eric instructed her. She did as told.

Eric and Cari's mom, Vanessa, had been dating for about two years. Eric had no kids and Vanessa just had Cari who sometimes she'd let it be known that Cari was a mistake. Eric was a police officer while Vanessa was a nurses assistant.

Cari was the only child and she never really met her dad. He's reached out a few times but when Cari ever tried to meet up with him, her mom would talk her out of it, or make her do something else telling her that there was more important things to do than to meet somebody who has never been there.

"You know what moms cooking tonight?" Cari asked as she helped put the groceries away.

"Probaby nothing, she's supposed to be eating me tonight", Eric laughed and continued doing as he was before he made the comment like it wasn't innapropriate to say to someones daughter about their mother.

"Wow", Cari said really getting upset.

Eric looked over and could see attitude all in Cari's face. "C'mon Cari, I was kidding".

"Yeah I bet", she slammed the cabinnets and walked in her room.

"Like I said I'm sick of this shit", she mumbled.

Seconds later Eric came walking in her room, no knock or nothing.

"Cari I didn't mean to upset you, I was joking for real", Eric said sobingly.

"Ok Eric, if you say so", Cari rolled her eyes.

Eric walked towards her and pinned her against the wall with both hands in the air, " I just want to hear you say you forgive me or some".

"I accept your apology Eric", Cari smirked.

Eric had a smirk on his face too, then he slowly let her go. He walked by the door and then said,"If she work all night, we can have movie night in living room".

"Sounds legit", Cari said.

Her closed the door behind him and Cari plopped on her bed. She picked her phone up and dialed Vanessa's number.

"Hey Cari, I can't talk right now, I'm working two doubles tonight back to back and I might take someone elses shift too. I won't be home til 10 tomorrow. Tell Eric and tell him he can use my card to feed y'all tonight".

"You always working doubles and never home with your family, but ok goodnight", Cari said and then hung the phone up before Vanessa could say something.

It was normal for Vanessa to work all night until the next morning and leave Eric and Cari to fin for themselves.

Cari walked into the livingroom of their two bedroom apartment and sat on the couch.

"Moms said she's working two doubles and taking someones elses shift tonight so she's not coming in, she said use her card for food", Cari told Eric as she searched the guide.

"Want to order pizza and wings?" Eric asked.

"Doesn't matter, I'm about to take a shower, so call the order in", Cari told Eric as she get off the couch slowly and strutted to the bathroom.