Chapter 9 ~ What Were They?

"Did you get the pictures that I sent?"

The phone was against his ear as he listened to Louise speak. Leni had opted not eat lunch with Bongbong for the first time. He had a bad feeling in his gut but he didn't want to entertain such notions. He didn't want her to think that he was jealous so he didn't ask about what she was busy with.

Wala namang kami in the first place...kaya wala akong karapatang magselos.

"Bongbong? Hello? Are you there?"

He kept quiet. Louise had been pestering him all day with her calls so he finally decides to pick it up. He knew from the moment that the pictures arrived that it was from Louise. The Aranetas own that amusement park.

"Bongets? Bong-"

As he walked he saw Leni and Digong from a distance. They were too busy with each other's company to notice his presence. She had that same smile she had on that day.

Sabi ni Leni she had to do something important...she said...

But a part of him already knew that she might be with Digong. He just wanted to fool himself by ignoring the thought. He wished he was wrong, but unfortunately, as he now saw, he wasn't.

"Shut up." he partly told Louise and himself.

"Finally! Akala ko I was talking to myself eh!" Louise exclaimed on the other line.

"Well - aren't you?" he quipped.

"Ang sama mo talaga - and to think I was doing you a favor. Guess what I found out about Leni?"

This seemed to irk Bongbong so he chastised her.

"Tigilan mo na siya Louise! Wala ka na bang ibang magawa?"

"Just so you know she's already married."

"What?!" he almost dropped his phone as he heard her say it. He knew Louise well enough for him to know that her claim was substantiated.

"Pero may good news - for you - but bad news for me though."

"What is it?" he was all ears with this news.

"The guy is already dead."

"Her husband - is dead?"

"Apparently, the helicopter that they were on crashed...si Leni lang ang nakasurvive. Yung asawa niya hindi."

He immediately felt a pang of guilt upon hearing what happened to her husband. It explains everything that happened yesterday. Why she was so grief stricken and paranoid.

She was still hurting from his loss.

"I see. Thanks for the info." and then he added much to her dismay, "Please stop calling me."

He turns off his phone.

-----

For the past few months Leni had been taking her lunch with Bongbong, but recently she always had an excuse not to eat with him for lunch. She told him she had other stuff to do as an alibi instead of telling Bongbong the truth about her lunch escapades.

The truth that he had been seeing Digong all along.

As the weeks went by, Leni and Bongbong grew apart while she grew closer to Digong. Meanwhile, Bongbong patiently waited. He hoped against hope that Digong wasn't really serious about Leni. Digong was known for being a womanizer in their campus, surely he will be over her in a few weeks right? Well at least that's what Bongbong thought.

There still had been no confirmation about the relationship status between Leni and Digong, but needless to say they were comfortable with each other. The two had no commitment, but this did not seem to bother them. For they two of them it did not matter much.