Prologue

*Chris’s point of view*

It’s been a few months since Ironarm’s death. Seth is recovering, though he likes to complain every time he hurts himself trying to fight.

It probably doesn’t help when Haley and I laugh at him, but what are friends for anyway?

Dylan and I have gotten closer, and my dad is just about to get out of his alcohol-aid on good improvement.

The new school year’s started. We’re a few weeks in, and the Rings have been open for about a month; they’d been cut off due to the investigations of the fire and then Ironarm’s murder, which was blown over into a suicide attempt.

I still haven’t gone to seen my mother in the cemetery, mostly because I’m not sure how to face her after I murdered somebody.

But all in all, things have looked up a lot since that fateful night.

Security at the Rings has become painfully high; it seems everybody is their own bodyguard.

The Rounds are starting in about a week and a half, about thirty minutes uptown from where our Rings are.

The four leagues that are closest to the place are coming to fight.

The league we fight in is League One, and Isaac fights in League Two with Sam, and Ally.

League Three and League Four are an hour or two the opposite way from the Rounds; it gives all four of them the chance to challenge other people.

Jake comes over a lot now with his friend Michael; Kevin has a lot to do, running around with his connections to the Rings and everything, and his job. Not that Jadyn and Nathan mind having him over though.

Today is Wednesday- my dad gets out on Saturday. Next week is our last week of fighting at the Rings before we go to the Rounds, which means we only have a week left to practice.

But when have we ever balked at a challenge?