Chapter 1

I grasped the net tightly between my hands. It was the only reminder of my mother and father back in District 4. It was an old net, my father made it for my mother after she survived the Games. Before the Capitol took me away, my father made them take it also. The Capitol thought that since my mother and father were both victors of the Games, I would become a rebel. So the Capitol took me away and sent me to District 7. I live here with my adopted parents, Evie and Derrick. I also have many siblings, an older brother, Chism, and two younger sisters, Cecile and Fir. Chism doesn't like the fact that I am from District 4, not 7. He thinks that I shouldn't belong here. Cecile and Fir adore me. They turn to me for everything, and they are so young. I have lived in District 7 all my life, but I don't feel i quite fit in. I was born to fish, swim, and make nets, not chop down trees and turn them into furniture or firewood. I am ment to be surrounded by water, not pine trees. Chism doesn't accept me. He was there before I was. When I came around, he was angry. I like Chism. He doesn't show affection, but I think he still thinks of me like family. I refuse to call Evie And Derrick "mom" or "dad." They accept it just fine. The net was rough and hurt my hands. Still, I grasped it tighter. 

"Erabelle," Fir said. She was so small, only 4 years old. She had short brown hair with a fringe covering her chocholate brown eyes. She was only as tall as my upper thigh. She grasped her stuffed bear tight against her chest. "Ma said you have to get ready now." she said as she ran off. I almost forgot. Today was the reaping. It was my third year in the reaping now. My name would be entered three times. It may not seem like much, but as District 7's escort, Aymellie Conda would say, "May the odds be ever in your favor!" 

I walked down the old pine staircase and walked straight into the bathroom. I looked into the mirror hanging on the wall. I didn't look like most people from District 7 either. A majority of District 7's population had dark brown hair and eyes. I had red hair and blue eyes. Almost impossible, considering genes. I didn't even have a freckle on my face. Cecile says that my eyes are as blue as can be. I stand out from almost everyone here. I turned on the bath water and waited for it to fill up. I sat on the edge of the tub and just stared at my feet. Today would be Cecile's first day being entered into the reaping. I was worried for my sibling. But Chism and I had a better chance of being picked for this. 

Evie cracked open the bathroom door. "Mind if I come in?" she asked. Evie was pretty short, considering my unnatural height. She had long brown hair, reaching her waist. Her face had a look of concern mixed with a look of happiness. "Are you okay Evie?" I asked. A small grin spread across her face. "Never better," she said, her grin forming into a smile. "I have something for you." She pulled a light green colored dress from behind her back and held it up to me. It was a medium lenghth dress, going to my knees. It had a white lace trim and dark green and brown threads sewn throughout the fabric. It looked like the forest surrounding our district. It was strapless, which was a little to Capitol for my taste. I tried it on anyway. Evie gave me a white cardigan to place over my shoulders. I looked radiant in the dress itself. She also set a pair of brown flats down on the floor. "Call me in after your bath." she said, almost running out of the room. She shut the door silently and I heard her footsteps run down the hall. 

I sat myself into the warm bathwater. I silked the soap over my body and ran a shampoo through my hair. After i cleaned myself, I just sat there. What was wrong with Evie?  I thought. The water began to cool down, so I got out. I dried my body and my hair, brushing out the knots with a brush Cecile made me from Cedar wood. I slipped on the dress and cardigan. I squeezed my feet into the tight flats that slightly pinched my toes. I dried my hair and went straight to Evie's room, where she was waiting. I sat down on her bed and grasped her hands between mine. "Evie, are you sure you're okay?" I asked. She looked up at me with worry. "Chism. He entered for a tessarae. We are okay without it, but he insisted on it. I'm afraid he will get picked. His name is in there alot you know." she said. A tear rolled down her cheek. I wiped it away with the sleeve of the cardigan. "How many times?" I asked. She sniffled and wiped away her tears, sweeping her hair behind her ears. "72." she said in a quick voice. She fought back sobs and let the tears roll down her face. "There are more than 10,000 names in there, Evie. Chism isn't likely to get picked." I said. A look of hope arrived in place of her sadness.

She brushed my now dry hair back, and curled it with her favorite curling iron. She sprayed hairspray all over and blow dryed the sticky substance. I looked into the mirror on her dresser and my jaw dropped. I didn't look like myself. I looked like a younger version of my mother, or atleast what I picture her to look like. I hugged Evie tightly and went back into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and walked around the house for the remaining hour. Our house was fairly big, considering Derrick built it himself. When Derrick called us all downstairs, my heart raced. I wasn't prepared for whatever was coming. I wasn't worried for me, I was worried for Chism. I was worried for Cecile. Most of all, I was worried for Evie. 

We arrived at the town square 5 minutes early. I went over to my section, where all of the other 14 year olds of District 7 were. I recognized familiar faces from school, but none were my friends. They ignored me, just as Chism does. I didn't belong here. I stood out from all of them. A few people stared at me and laughed. Some gasped at my dress or my hair. I didn't look like the Erabelle everyone knew. Or atleast the red headed girl from District 4, the outcast, the accused rebel, the freak. Those are what people called me. I don't think anybody knew my name. Aymellie Conda took her spot on stage, listening to President Snow's annual speech about the Dark Days. She was a tall skinny woman, with poofy orange hair. It wasn't like mine, it was unnatural. Her skin was a pale pink color, and she wore a tight blue dress with large sleeves. I trailed off looking at the faces in the crowd. The group of 12 year olds looked scared to death. Each one looked as if they cried before they came. Aymellie's voice came over the crowd and began to speak. She went over to the bowl filled with boys names first. She lingered over the bowl for several long seconds. Please don't call Chism.  I thought. She pulled out a slip of paper and read the name. "Clark Maxwell" she said as she smiled. A boy from the 18 year old section walked on stage. He wanted to cry, I could tell. 

I looked over at Evie in the crowd of citezens. She looked relieved, but worried for the boys family. Aymellie wandered over to the bowl of girls names next. She lingered over for a while longer until she quickly grabbed a slip of paper. The name was so quick I didn't understand what was happening. Then somebody gave me a shove. I realized then what the name on the paper was. 

Erabelle Odair.