Chapter 13

The dim light of the hospital room was bright against my closed eyelids. I sniffled as I opened my eyes slowly. I began to shift and soon slowly sat up. Johanna was sitting in a yellow plastic chair on the other side of the room.  She was reading the Capitol newspaper, and she grinned with her familiar sly smile when she saw me.

"You made front page, shark bait." she said with a giggle. I never seen Johanna in such a good mood. The picture was me and Clark. Our last moment together. Tears strolled down my face as soon as I saw the photo.

"Don't cry Erabelle. We will be home soon, and everything will be fine." she said, using my real name for the first time. I shook my head and laid back down. My body was back to normal, not a scratch or scar on my skin. My ankle didn't hurt one bit. My skin was a glowing tan color, and obvious alteration. Johanna got up and walked toward the door.

"I'll be back. Aloe and Vera are coming to get your ready for your interview in a few hours. Get some sleep." she said. I closed my eyes and began to relax as my mind drifted off. I was awoken to the sound of Clark's voice. His fatal scream when Heather struck him. I realized it was just a dream, but if felt so real. It was real, I couldn't ever get Clark back. I heard Vera's squeeky white heels walk down the hall. Aloe walked in without a word and took my hand in his.

"How are you holding up darling?" he said, placing a kiss on my hand. I didn't answer; I just stared. I began to count the stripes on Vera's vibrant dress. Aloe shook his head at his sister and pulled the sheet off of me, dressing me in a stunning dress.

It was a light blue dress with lace at the bottom. He put my hair in curls and did my makeup. My prep team wasn't needed. I looked way different then the dirty, bloody girl from the arena. I looked fresh and new. We entered the stage and sat down. Aloe took his place across the room, holding his glare.

"Erabelle, dear. If somebody would have told me that you would have one the Games, I would have said 'No way!' But you proved us wrong, now didn't you?" Caeser Flickerman said with a strong smile. Silence. I wanted to say something, but the words wouldn't form onto my lips. I just stared into the faces of the audience.

"Well then, lets watch some of the best moments from your Games!" Caeser said, pointing to a screen. Clips of me killing the girl at the Cornucopia. Me breaking my leg. Killing Kasha, then the Careers. When Clark and I reunited. Our kiss outside the cave. The crash of waves that tore us apart. Me killing Maggie, Heather killing Clark. As soon as they showed the kiss Clark and I shared as his life slipped away, I got up and walked off stage. The crowd gasped in astonisment. Aloe stopped me and walked me back to my seat, holding my hand and not letting me move.

"I'm sorry Caeser. Continue." Aloe said. He was treating me like I was a small child. I took a deep breath and acted like I was listening. I didn't answer any of Caeser's questions, and we left.

"Erabelle, I know it's hard for you. But you have to be strong. Be strong for your family. Be strong for Clark." he said. I shook my head, holding my blank stare. "This is the last time i'll see you in a while. Stay strong sweetheart." he said, kissing my cheek.

I got onto the train and I went straight to bed. My nightmares haunted me with Clark's laugh, his face, his warm touch, and most of all his bright smile. I couldn't stand it anymore. That should have been me. Clark didn't deserve this. He was too nice of a person. He only killed 3 people in that arena; I killed 10. I shook the thoughts away as my body shook with sobs. We would be home by tomorrow afternoon; where I could see my precious family again. But in a few months, I would have to go on a Victory Tour, strolling the districts, seeing each face of the families whom children I killed.

I spent most of the night crying, and by the time I woke up, we where whizzing past the forests of District 7 again. I saw the lumberjacks working in the north forest line; which is the longest and most used forest area in our district. For the first time in a long time, I felt safe. Its only been around two weeks since I left here, but it felt like years. I knew I wasn't really safe, because now the Capitol owned me. When we arrived back at the train station, thousands of people were waiting to greet me. I could see my family up ahead, but closer by I saw Clark's mother and his two younger brothers. As soon as I got off the train, I walked toward his mother and hugged her tightly. I wanted to tell her I was sorry, that I tried to save him. But I didn't. The words wouldn't come out. Just soft sobs. I stroked her face and walked towards my family.

Chism grabbed me by the waist and picked me up, hugging me tightly. When he put me down, Cecile and Fir ambushed me. I picked Fir up and held her close. A small grin formed on my face, the only emotion besides greif and fear that I have been able to process. I grasped Evie and Derrick tightly, missing their warm voices.

"Can we go home now?" Cecile whined. Evie shook her head yes and we walked toward our old home. Most of it was empty, but there were a few things we needed to pick up. I ran into my old room and grabbed the cedar hairbrush from Cecile and the woven net from my father. I walked down the pine staircase one last time before saying goodbye to the empty home I grew up in.

We packed the rest of our belongings in Derrick's black truck and made our way to Victor's Village. District 7 has had five victors; six now including me. 3 of them are dead; which means there is only Johanna, a tall, scruffy man named Blight, and me. Johanna's house was right across from mine, and Blight's was right next door. We began to unpack our stuff, and Cecile and Fir gave me a tour of my room. I had my own room now, I used to share with my sisters. The room had pastel blue walls and mahogany flooring. There was a large bed in the center with white lace sheets and a light blue quilt. A large dresser was across from the bed with a brand new mirror on top. I shoved my clothes into the drawers and put the brush in a safe spot. I placed the net onto my bed underneeth the pillow like I used to at our old home. Finally, I reached around my neck to take off my locket, but stopped.

There were two neckalces around my neck. Both my locket, and Clark's. I dropped my arms and collapsed onto my bed. I clutched Clark's locket against my chest, sobbing. It was the only thing we shared together. It was ours.