"Grate"ful

I slipped into the sewers, splashing as I came down. I had closed the grate not wanting any unwanted visitors. I was surprised to see that it was well lit down in the tunnels. Every few feet a few beams would allow me to see into the tunnel that seemed to go on for countless blocks.

I had a thought in mind about the hastily built wall outside. They wouldn't have thought of everything. They expected us to be all dead. That's why there was no guards posted. They were waiting for the virus to kill itself.

Well guess what world. I'm still alive, and kicking. I intend on it staying that way!

I chuckled to myself as I walked down the tunnel. I kept looking for a section to branch off to the left, but found none to my efforts. I kept walking, expecting it to be just a few more feet further.

No noise could be heard except for my feet slapping into the water, and drops every now and then from an unknown source. It seemed like I was all alone, but I still stayed on edge. Better prepared for nothing than unprepared for the worst.

I kept walking, and was rewarded for my unshakable determination. A tunnel branched off to the left, and extended far enough that I believed it to be under the wall.

I kept walking until I met the end, but found a tunnel branching to the right. I could see more light coming from its supposed end, so I walked down it, never looking back.

I rushed to it as I saw sunlight filter through unaffected from any ceiling, and only blocked by bars in my way. I could see a bank line from this spot, and assumed this to be a spillway in case of overflow. The grate seemed solid, and stuck right as I shook it a little to test its durability. Freedom was inches away, and yet a few centimeters of metal bars blocked it.

Of all things how could this be the thing to stop my escape?

I glanced over my shoulder, and then listened for noises outside. Nothing, but the occasional chirping of birds. The sounds of peaceful nature flowing into my ears.

I slowly went to the edges of the grate, checking to see if any were rusted away. Two bars were, and I exerted most of my leftover energy trying to bend them up. I had gotten one up far enough, but the second one didn't seem good. I decided to take a chance as I took of my back pack, and slid it through the hole.

Now let's see if I'm still good at twister.

I put my legs through first, and slowly wiggled my way to the other side. Only catching once as my chest had been pushed quite painfully due to the low lying second bar. On the other side I took off my vest, and pulled up my shirt to examine the injured area.

To my surprise there was just a slight discoloration of the skin, and I quickly put my vest back on. I stood up, grabbed my pack, and walked to the end of the tunnel.

I jumped off the edge of the concrete, and landed on firm ground. Turning around I saw the wall from the outside view, and saw how hastily it really was constructed. Rebar still poked out form the back, and I didn't see any support beams around.

Do they want this thing to fall down?

I quickly shifted around and looked at a dirt walk way that seemed to lead somewhere. I followed it, curious, and hopeful to see where it would lead. I continued down the path, and took a sharp exhale at what I saw.

No... it can't be. How?

Another fence surrounded the outside of the wall, and from the outside I saw nothing, no movement, but in between these two there was a small camp bustling with activity. Activity that horrified me as more thoughts entered my head. Rotters, dressed in full military gear milled around. Sometimes walking away from the group, but there was still so many.