Chapter Nineteen: Professional Nuisance

It was like a poof and the once chilled alleyway had vanished and was replaced with some sort of dank park. Or maybe an overgrown dump. Either way, it had a pungent scent with surrounding trees outlining the space.
‘Should I be scared that I was taken here?’ my mind said making my hands tremble in the low visibility.

“If it stops you’re idiotic decisions, be very scared; wet yourself!” the Reaper’s snarl rung in my ears. “Scarlet Brone, no one chose you to be the one with the gift. I would have never have chosen you if I had the choice.”  

This was beginning to seem more and more like the start of a loooooooooong ultimatum.

“Scarlet, I don’t want to see you till you’re of no use to me anymore. Do you un-der-stand me?”

“I-am n-ot a brai-n-less-” my last dull word gusted away as he pulled me up to skim his dark voiding skull. If he wanted me to wet myself, now it could be accomplished.

“Listen to me now, and take in my every word,” each word more sinister than the next. Though on the plus side skulls don’t have saliva, which is especially good with my mouth chattering in his cold breath.
“There’s an ultimate punishment I have the means to give. Living eternity in an underworld prison cell surrounded by the dead! Stay in my operatives care and do your duty, for hells sake!”

It’s a wussy thing to do, but being called a disappointment by Death struck a very wussy-type emotion. As my feet came back in contact with the dumps damp ground, I began to quietly cry. But I knew he could still hear it, no matter how silent.

The Grim Reaper, having nothing but an empty chest cavity, cocked his skull at me and with a slight wave of his cloaked hand, mist covered my vision. Gravity and all known reality disappeared, just as I did.

Gradually the mist subsided and my eyes beamed not only from tears, but from the fact I was away from the dump’s smells, Death who made me cry is out of sight and…Bloody hell, Daemon looks frustrated. His bobbing dark hair was thickly plastered with…plaster as he stomped into the hotel room.

“What happen to your head and your face and everywhere…did you get a job at a plastering company?”

His head was cocked at a perturbed angle. “Of course, how else would I be able to pay for all the damage you cause. You’re a walking time bomb and I’m going broke because of it.”

An uneasy feeling swept over me: first Death, now Daemon? I really should start being paid for being a professional nuisance. I slumped into the nearby armchair, using what was left of my sleeve to wipe my running nostrils.

“Are you alright?” he notioned to the tears suspended on my cheeks.
A simple shrug was the answer in return. 

“Fine, don’t ever think or complain that I don’t care about your roller coaster ride that some people would call emotions!”
I gave him a thumb’s up, sinking deeper into the chair.