Chapter Twenty: Life Lessons of Love

For waters of the dead, this was pretty nice. You know those movies where lovers go by a river and have a big scene about a whole romantic day that they spend frolicking and flirting on the banks, yes well this is probably where they filmed every single one of those.

The grass was long and lush making anyone want to snuggle up close to; the steady stream of a murky purple making that sweet sound of a gentle wee. A romantic’s getaway dream.

But picturing me, a sleep deprived misery stricken woman with Daemon, a statue carved by toddler with a constipated glare on this truly romantic scene. Not pretty is it.

“Is there something on your mind?” I dare asked as we sat lifelessly on a damped bank of the river way.

“Why would I ever have something on my mind?” Daemon croaked back, keeping his distinct unrelenting gaze on the moving water.

“I don’t know, I mean when I was a kid, I used to sing in the shower.” He narrowed his eyes my way.

“Charming, now what does that have to do with anything right now?”

I smiled sheepishly and entwined my fingers with the grass as I spoke. “Well now, I make life decisions in there. The shower its soothing water helps to relieve the mind and such.”

He nodded subtly in almost agreement. “So you think I’m having brain processes issues so I made both of us come here?”

I shrugged “I wouldn’t want to leave alone back at that place, I might try to wash my hands and end up sending everything under like Atlantis.”

“Good point.”

I nodded rhythmically. “Yes, by making that one decision to bring me, you just saved the world.” With a great force I pushed myself to my feet and reached a hand up into the endless setting sky. “And that is why the little things that make everything in these worlds, really truly matters the most,” the dramaticness of my voice tripled with each breath. “How could we eat without the dedicated farmers who slave away in the dirt to get us food, and how could we get the food without the pollination from BEES!”

“Scarlet…”

“Bees are the mightiest of all creatures; size never means a thing for us for them, no difference.” The ongoing gibberish that seen to continuously emit from my mouth was making the whole star-crossed, lovey-dovey feel more like those school plays that seem pointlessly boring, but you have to watch and smile for your child. “Out of every creature in the animal kingdom, they have the wickedest coat of paint-”

He wrenched my hand towards him and I whirled round to face him. “Stop with the life message about bees, I could have gotten that in the television package, but I don’t watch that stuff anyway.” He took a breath and placed a hand on each of my shoulders. “I know your still in shock and you’re hoping this will get better soon, but it’s not, actually it most probably will get worse. Scarlet, you are never going to wake up from this until what’s done is done.”

The coldness from his hands was all I could think about as we slowly descended to the ground, I then laid my head on what was hopefully a clump of moss, but chances of that seemed pretty slim. He lay next to me moments after and we contently looked at the setting sun. “How is there a sun down here or did we accidently go upwards?”

He shook his head. “I’m not allowed upwards.”

I raised a brow and serenaded the words “SO why is there a sun down here?”

“Because that’s how night and day works, the sun comes up, day time, the sun goes down, well you get it.”

“Did you steal the sun from up there?”